This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Issue Found after much work on laptop

OK. Thought all was great. Found that KMIX and my laptop Mute, Sound Up and Sound Down don't actually work. Everything appears to work, except mute button which doesn't at all, but really does not affect the sound output at all. Installed the PULSEAUDIO controls and they do work but everything has to be done manually thought those? Am I going to have to completely remove Pulse again or did anyone have a similar issue they fixed? Can I even remove Pulse or do they have it too integrated now.

Re: Sound Issue Found after much work on laptop

I looked into doing that on my Maverick guest OS and found that about the entire KDE4 desktop was "dependent" on Pulseaudio. But, it is working OK in the guest OS. Padvchooser is a loser because it doesn't offer mouse wheel control on the volume. You have to right mouse on the system tray icon and select the volume option, then run a slider in a popup dialog.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That kind of confirms what I've been thinking. PulseAudio still is not where it should. I hate to hear how integrated they have it. There has to be a solution somewhere.

Comment

It is one thing to have an pseudo dependency. One can remove a package without removing the dependencies. But, although I have not checked it out, so much of the KDE4 desktop "depends" on Pulseaudio I fear that trying to remove it would fail. And, even if one allowed all of the "dependent" KDE4 packages to be deleted and then use "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" to recover the desktop, pulseaudio would simply get hauled in with them. And, if you did that command with "no dependencies" you'd end up with a mess in which nothing would work.

On my 10.4 install I was able to remove Pulseaudio and install Alsa and make KMix populate with ALL of my audio controls, not just that single "volume" control.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hmm. I thought it was just me and my old P4 system.
          I get sound but with some ugly clicking noise that may or may not fade away.
          Adjusting volume is really bad. About 70% of the volume positions has loud buzzing sound but no music.

For a while I was using Ubuntu studio but had to move to Kubuntu because of these problems with Pulse. Can still use studio apps in Kubuntu but only with Lucid or older. Fortunately Lucid is LTS.

An interesting side note on my system. Amarok stopped working at version 2.0. Now it works in Maverick , but with the above issues. Never did figure out why.

No clue, Ken.
          Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Can I even remove Pulse or do they have it too integrated now.
            Yes, you can remove it, but you will lose some functionality that you have in 10.04.
            Specifically, the oss wrapper is now integrated into pulseaudio, and snd-pcm-oss, and even the ability to install it, has been removed. This means that without pulse, oss applications won't produce any sound. Think Firefox here, though not necessarily its plugins like flash.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
            X