This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log out on 10.10

Two profiles on a laptop running netbook version, often have to log out of one and back into the other without shutting down. After upgrade to Maverick, this is no longer possible, because choosing the "Log Out" option puts the screen to a text display, not to the graphical login, and the text display does not respond to any keyboard input. The only way out of that is to use the power button to shutdown.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    "You, sir are no gentleman!"
    "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
    Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
    Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Re: Log out on 10.10

Same here. When I try to log out I'm thrown into a text display and the computer locks up. No useful log entries that I could find either.
    Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
    Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
    Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

In reality, your keyboard is still 'alive' but not displaying what you type, as the OS is shutdown, but a poweroff wasn't issued. When you are at the 'text display' use the 'magic key' sequence and see if your system doesn't complete the shutdown process:

Alt+SysReq held together, and while still pressed, in sequence, press R, S, E, I, U.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, the keyboard is still responsive. I can reboot the computer fine, but I want to log out back to the login screen. This problem was not an issue when I was using Kubuntu 10.04 and KDE4.5.1 from the ppa.
        Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
        Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
        Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Same here ... I was not trying to shutdown ... that worked fine in Maverick ... I wanted to be able to log out of one profile and back into another without shutting down ... and that fails because choosing "Log Out" ends up with the unresponsive text display ... if the OS has shutdown in response to that choice, rather than going back to the login screen ... "someone has blundered."*

*Colonel Bloodnok, Dishonoured, Goon Show.
          "You, sir are no gentleman!"
          "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
          Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
          Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Comment

I thought I was the only one, now there arte others I've done a bit of research, from which it would appear it's a known bug

Take a look here

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/MaverickMeerkat/RC/Kubuntu

and

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/651294

The advice there is

"Edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and uncomment the line "#TerminateServer=true" by changing it to "TerminateServer=true" and restart KDM (reboot the system or sudo restart kdm)."

Alternatively the quick and dirty way is alt+printscreen+k which will restart x.

Comment

Working...
            X