X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved (Hopefully ?? - NOT) Hangs on shutdown

Upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 yesterday.

Every time I have shutdown the system since the upgrade, the system hangs on the shutdown.

I get the Kubuntu shut down screen with the dots that change color. They all change color and then 3 of the 5 change color again and the system hangs. The computer doesn't shut off. It just sits there.

I have tried the magic key sequence: alt-sysreq RSEIUB

Ineffective.

I have to physically shutdown the system with the power button.

So far I have seen no effect when I boot the system the next time, but ??

I reviewed all of the logs I could find in /var/log using KSystemLog and could see nothing to indicate any errors, i.e., no errors reported in any log.

Any Ideas
    Read dibl's post elsewhere on the magic keys and he wrote to hold both the alt and sysreq keys down while pressing RSEIUB in sequence.

I have always just held down the alt key only. So decided to shutdown and try holding down both keys.

On shutdown, I was watching the colored dots and waiting for the hang on the third dot and ..............................

It didn't hang.

So maybe, hopefully, the system fixed itself and maybe, hopefully, the problem is gone.

Re: Solved (Hopefully ?? - NOT) Hangs on shutdown

Okay - had the chance to shutdown and boot a few more times.

It seems the hang on shutdown isn't really solved.

It hangs sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The magic key sequence has no effect. Makes no difference whether I hold down just the Alt key or both the Alt Key and the SysReq key for the RSEIUB. No effect.

The only recourse when it hangs is to power down.

It doesn't SEEM to have any ill effects of using the power button, but then not too sure how I would tell.

It SEEMS that the entire power down sequence has been executed, just that the commands to turn the power off are not being issued or are being issued incorrectly.

Again, I could not find anything in any of the log files to indicate anything in error.

So, does anybody have any ideas what could be happening and what could be done to remedy the situation? I really do not like having to the power button to shut the thing down, especially after so many years of having that done automagically by Linux on shutdown. Just makes me think something is wrong.

Comment

if you issue sudo shutdown -h now in the terminal, does it work every time? I don't know what the problem might be but if this command does the trick, it may be an interim workaround.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
        if you issue sudo shutdown -h now in the terminal, does it work every time? I don't know what the problem might be but if this command does the trick, it may be an interim workaround.
        Had no effect - the command just brings up the usual Kubuntu shutdown screen and it hangs as usual.

Comment

Had the idea to try the previous kernal. GRUB lists 2:

2.6.35-22 (default kernal)

&

2.6.32-25

So I booted 32-25 instead of the default. Shutdown went as normal with no hanging.

From that I deduce that the problem is the newer kernal - I was 99% sure of that anyway.

Haven't decided whether to use the older kernal until a newer one comes out.

Any downside to using the older 2.6.32-25 kernal until a newer one comes out ??

Comment

good sleuthing. I see no downsides to using the older kernel. It's the one I'm using anyhow!
            Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
            Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
            X