This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to boot Kubuntu 10.10

After a fresh install I'm unable to boot my machine. I tried reinstalling but still no luck. I went back to lucid and did an upgrade and after that my PC won't boot.

I read that the new kernel has problems with SSDs so I did an install on a regular SATA drive but I got the same problem.

My PC specs are:
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    RAM: 12gb
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI
    SSD OCZ Vertex

Please let me know if I need to provide anything else.

Thank you!

Re: Unable to boot Kubuntu 10.10

Lemme get this out of the way: that is a beautiful machine.

Now, when you say you are unable to boot your machine, what exactly is happening? Does BIOS post? Do you get to a GRUB screen?

Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Hehe Thank you

The BIOS is fine. The problem is after selecting the Kernel in GRUB that the booting process hangs. When I was installing Maverick the booting process was very slow compared to Lucid. I don't know if that has something to do with my problem.

Comment

When on the Grub menu screen, press 'e' to edit the kernel boot line and remove the 'quite splash' from the end. Then continue with booting. This will allow you to see the boot process messages. It will be helpful to know what the last message is when the 'hang' occurs.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I removed "quiet splash" and I saw all the stuff that loads. I didnt see any errors. After loading everything I see the console asking for username/password and then the screen goes blank. The system is unresponsive and I'm unable to see what is causing this issue. Please help

Comment

Review this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114210.0

I think you have the same situation.

Comment

Thank you Dibl!!

I was able to boot into Maverick by adding vga=788 and removing "quiet splash". I then installed the new nvidia drivers.

After installing the newest drivers my system will only boot without "quiet splash". The GUI feels very slow for some reason.

I think the problem is on the Nvidia drivers for Maverick.

Comment

Working...
              X