Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removable devices > automounted on login drives will ask password at every login

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removable devices > automounted on login drives will ask password at every login

When other drives connected in the Removable devices and automounted on login a password will be asked on every drive you want to automount.

* Open System Settings of Kubuntu 10.10
    * Select Hardware -> Removable Devices and click on it.
    * Make all 4 options marked as active (Enable automatic mounting and the 3 options below it)
    * Select the drives you want to be automounted on the next boot.
    * Press Apply.
    * leave system settings
    * reboot

1) When logged in an Kubuntu started you get diolog screens to enter passwords and there is no option to automount while switching entering the password off. I have 3 drives mounted and I got 3 times to enter my password. (Every time I boot)

2) There is no policykit editor in systemsettings to change these settings myself.

------

The only workaround I know is adding these drives in the /etc/fstab and let it automounted when running fstab at boot, but this total disregard the so-called userfriendly alternative, what removable drives offers. But I want to see that dialog working. -

I also got stucked with the reporting this bug at the Ubuntu launchpad page.

Thank you for help....
    Free as meant in alcohol free.<br />Teetotalism rulez. - XXX

Re: Removable devices &gt; automounted on login drives will ask password at every login

Try disabling (remove the "X") from automounting devices, in Systemsettings > Hardware > Removable Devices.

This setting makes a popup menu come up when you insert a USB device. Then you have the choice whether to have it show up in Dolphin, or run K3b or whatever.

Comment

Re: Removable devices &gt; automounted on login drives will ask password at every login

thanks for your response. :-)

Played with several options, including all options off.

When I first clicked the drive in e.g. Dolphin, than asks its password. But these are partitions on my drive(s) in my own computer. (If I insert a USB stick, no question of entering a password is asked.)

I'm checking tomorrow the things better out.

Comment

Your best bet is to add the drives by UUID into /etc/fstab, create the mountpoint dirs in /media and make them user-writeable.

That's how I got my ntfs disk to auto-mount without nagging me for passwords, anyway.
        --
        Intocabile

Comment

Thanks

That is what I finaly I go to do. The old classic way with the /etc/fstab.

But I found a new dialogbox (Hardware -> Removable Devices) in systemsettings in KDE 4.5.1. and I want to try to use that to mount my drives.

Comment

Working...
          X