This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add user / Login / change password -> no keybd

I have just upgraded a Dell Latitude 2100 from Ubuntu (gnome) 10.04 to kubuntu 10.10 today. All went well for the main account set up (mine).

A little background, I use a 10G partition for / and the biggest slice of hard drive for /home. This way I can format / for doing upgrades whilst preserving /home. So my /home/gareth is fine, as it was the account I used during the install.

I have other users also, so I was setting up the account name and password. So after I log out I enter the users name and password and a prompt comes up to change password. However, this dialog does not accept keyboard input, all I can do is click ok or cancel.
    Using a Novatech X16 NV Pro

Re: Add user / Login / change password -> no keybd

At the login screen press Alt+Ctrl+F1 or F2 or F3 or F4 and you'll get a tty console screen where you can log into your system. Once you're inside type startx (or startkde if the previous one didn't work) and you should see your desktop once again. Open your system settings and look at your login manager settings just in case they say something about an expired password or something like that.
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I've installed on two machines and have had the same problem on both. Using the "Alt+Ctrl+F1" keys does allow me to login with the new user from the console and give it the new password and activating the new user (good work-around). After, I can login from the GUI side with that user. But the BUG itself remains on the GUI side. Hope it will be fixed soon.

Comment

Mmm, have you properly configured your graphics card? Some ATI and almost all nvidia cards need some extra tweaking before they work nice on Linux distros.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

What tweaking to a graphics card could fix a bug with one specific program's password-input fields?

The prog affected is the one that forces you to change the password of a new user when that user logs in for the first time. True, both my machines have Nvidia cards;

1. AMD duo-core using a GeForce 6600 GT...3DNow card running the latest/recommended driver,

2. Intel 1.6ghz single-core using a GeForce2 MX200 card. Nothing shows up in 'Additional drivers' but in older Kubuntu version I always had and loaded nvidia-96 drivers. I did so here as well but the bug remains.

Comment

Were you working "as root" in the add user GUI?

Try Alt-F2 "kdesudo systemsettings" with no quote marks, then after your password you can make system-wide changes such as adding/deleting users.

Comment

I was yes, did it through the system settings dialog.

I found a strange workaround:-

Click OK even though the passwords are empty, then ok the standard error dialog that shows up.

Then you are back at the new password entry dialog, and text input works.

Bizarre, but for some reason it works.
              Using a Novatech X16 NV Pro

Comment

Working...
              X