This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Fails

Can't get Kubuntu 10.10 to install doing a fresh install. When the install screen comes and I try to install it goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor and hangs. I then tried F6 with other options and experimented with that. With acpi=off checked, the installer would run and then install. However, when it tried to boot up after the install, blank screen with flashing cursor. So I tried to edit the boot install and acpi=off, but it still goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

I tried booting off the recovery option, but it gets to "registered taskstats version 1" and then hangs with a flashing cursor.

I then reloaded 10.4 (which worked perfectly BTW). Once I knew that was working perfectly, I then tried the distribution upgrade through kpackagekit. Same results. Upgrade had no problem, but once I restarted the machine, exact same results.

I'm not sure what to try at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

The test machine is an ASUS F50V laptop with an Intel T6400 and 4 GB RAM. Not sure what motherboard (beyond an Asus). I've installed every version of Kubuntu since 8.04 on this machine as a test before my other machines but this is the first time I've run across this and have no idea what to try. Thanks.

Doug

Re: Install Fails

Sounds like a video issue, except the part where acpi=off lets the installer finish booting. Maybe it is both acpi and video.

Possibly some of the video "cheat code" options would be worth trying, such as "xforcevesa", vga=785 (788, 791), etc., along with your acpi=off option.

Also, have you tried the Alternate Install CD?

Comment

I haven't tried the alternate install so I give that a shot. I hadn't thought about a video issue - that's not been an issue on this box for at least 4 installs but I'll check it out. I know the video is a nVidia mobiity, though I don't remember which at the moment and can't get in to take a look.

I'll try the alternate installer first and see how that goes. Thanks.

Doug

Comment

You can also try pci=nommconf as a boot option.

Please Read Me

Comment

Tried the pci=nommconf option but no change.

I have been able to get a working system. After I reloaded 10.4 and ensured everything worked, I then upgraded. I kept the kernels and am able to log into Mavrick with the 2.6.32-25 kernel, but not using using 2.6.35-22. So a working system, but just can't log into the later kernel and still get a blank screen with a flashing cursor even trying to run the live CD.

I'll keep experimenting since this is my test box.

Comment

Working...
          X