This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Troubles after upgrade to Maverick

You're right, I didn't mention the type. Though I felt like warning everyone to fall into the same black hole, when a remedy is suggested, a seemingly easy one, that screws up.
    I use
    nvidia-current 260.19.06-0ubuntu1
    on 7050

Could you specify what you mean with 'the old vga=' method?

Uwe

Comment

About trackpoint, this works for me:

create a file ~/.xsessionrc with following content:
      Code:
      xinput set-int-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 8 1
      xinput set-int-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 8 2
      xinput set-int-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes" 8 6 7 4 5
      Source: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Comment

It is working, but when I wake up laptop from Sleep it is not working again. I think that there was some hint how to solve it, but I cant remember where I am read it before.

Comment

Could you specify what you mean with 'the old vga=' method?
          First, look at your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. You may need to 'sudo' to see the file.

In the menu entries for booting your system, you will see lines that look like this:

Code:
          menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-22-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
              recordfail
              set gfxpayload=1680x1050
              insmod part_msdos
              insmod ext2
              set root='(hd2,msdos1)'
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e75bf91b-d1f8-4be8-acf4-838b8b34a74d
              linux  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=e75bf91b-d1f8-4be8-acf4-838b8b34a74d ro  
              initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
          }
          the line that begins with linux loads the actual kernel, and passes various parameters to it while booting.

What I did for my system is to set up a /etc/grub.d/06_custom_theme file, which has the following entry:

Code:
          menuentry "Kubuntu Stable" --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
              insmod ext2
              set root='(hd0,1)'
              linux  /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=794
              initrd /initrd.img
          }
          This boots exactly the same system, but without the gfxpayload stuff, and instead uses the older "vga=794" kernel parameter. It turns out that on my system, this is the only way I can get it to boot, and have some control over the text screens, and not have it crash.

So, you can either edit your grub.cfg file every time it is updated, and remove the gfxpayload stuff, and manually insert the vga= command (see http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes for information on what numbers to use, you may have to experiment for your card), OR you can do some tweaking to /etc/default/grub , /etc/grub.d/00_header , and /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme to get rid of the gfxpayload command and insert the appropriate vga= command at the end of the linux line, OR (this is what I did) you can create a new /etc/grub.d file (mine is 06_custom_theme) that inserts boot lines of your own design ahead of the automatically generated lines. That will take some work to figure out exactly how to do it for your system, but in my opinion, it has saved a lot of grub headaches.

Note: my 06_custom_theme is attached. That's what works for MY system, yours will be different, but maybe my example will help.
          Attached Files
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hello admins, this topic can be noted as SOLVED. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X