This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Doesnt like switching with KVM switch

Im having to use a KVM switch (a simple Belkin thing) to switch between my main windows XP machine, and new kubuntu machine.

But the kubuntu machine doesnt like being switched to using the KVM. What happens is the mouse responds very erratically, jumping all over the screen, and opening various windows etc as it does so. It seems that whatever info its getting from the mouse and keyboard is all mixed up. I can get out of this by using the keyboard a few times (usually pressing space a few times) before moving the mouse

does anyone know a way to stabilise the system in this setup?

Its all very basic at the moment, i still havent even adjusted the screen resolution. Oh, and the numeric keypad doesnt work, i suspect thats down to the type of keyboard the OS thinks is in use?

cheers for any suggestions

Re: Doesnt like switching with KVM switch

This is most likely a KVM problem or PC issue as I've used a KVM switch on my main desktop PC for more than a few years.

Try this -

Boot up the Kubuntu machine with a USB mouse connected - make sure it works and then hot plug the mouse (unplug it and then plug it back in). If it works normally blame the KVM switch.

If you have the same issue, try bringing up the machine in text mode and try running a text mode program with mouse support - and try the same hotplug thing. If you have the same issue it's PC, not KDE. If the problem goes away in text mode it's probably KDE.

Hope this helps -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by Barf
      Im having to use a KVM switch (a simple Belkin thing) to switch between my main windows XP machine, and new kubuntu machine.
      Is the KVM a PS2 type? If so, they have never played nice with USB peripherals (though sometimes they do) using PS2 adaptors.
      Andy R.
      Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

I dont have a USB mouse im afraid, all the mice here are PS/2

The KVM works fine between two windows PCs

Ive since noticed (as a window popped up saying something was switching them off) that 'mouse buttons' were in use, aparently these are some form of accessability option for impaired users? Ive allowed them to be disabled, but havent had chance to use the KVM since

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Doesnt like switching with KVM switch

Doesnt matter any more. KVM out of circuit now

Comment

Working...
          X