Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a Sound Card that supports Linux?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a Sound Card that supports Linux?

Been having problems getting the onboard sound on my motherboard to work with 10.10, so I'm considering buying a separate card and pressing on.

Can anybody recommend a sound card that in their experience has worked well with Linux? I have a 5.1 speaker configuration, and have been partial to Creative Labs in the past.

Re: Recommend a Sound Card that supports Linux?

I would advise you to stick close to this:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

I have had great luck with the onboard chips on higher-end motherboards. My Intel D975XBX-2 motherboard has a STAC chip on it, and this Asus P6X58D-E has an Asustek 8814. I run it in 5.1 configuration also -- sounds marvelous (with decent speakers, of course).

Comment

Hi

By not working do you mean no sound at all, or specific issues with it eg not muting when headphones plugged in?

You may find these links helpful.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3112887.15

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=627945

The machine in the kubuntu link was an adamo and so that link may be less relevant than the ubuntu link, which was a Vostro 1500.

I assume you ran an earlier version of 'buntu before 10.10 on your machine and all was okay?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator

I assume you ran an earlier version of 'buntu before 10.10 on your machine and all was okay?
        Correct. Both Kubuntu and Ubuntu 10.10 make the sound tinny, popping, and generally not very well. On 10.04 and before it was perfect, in fact is sounded better than when I switched to the window side.

There are some drivers I could download from the manufacturer (ASUS), but I have no idea how to compile the drivers. I thought it would be easier to just try a different card.

My notebook is also running 10.10, but absolutely no problems with sound on it.

Comment

It should not be necessary to compile a driver module.

Can you run
          Code:
          lspci -vv
          and let's see the details on that onboard chip, please?

Comment

If you do decide to go with a new card, I have never had an problem with any of the Creative Labs Sound Blaster cards.

Comment

Depending on where you could shop, if you can go to a used computer parts store, the old "Soundblaster Live" 32 bit cards from 5 years ago or more have always, that is always, worked with any Linux that I have ever installed, period. Get one that has all of the colors of plugs on it, yellow, blue, orangy red, green, black and often a game plug.

In fact that is what I am using right now.

I assume that you know about how to "get the best sound...physically" out of the card....

but I'll address this to folks who may be new to Linux and the idea of doing things for oneself...

The present day high-end monitors have truely awsome speaker systems on them, including a small "whoofer"(bass) and if you have one of them then the below discussion is not for you. You can stop here if you just want to consider the idea of the old soundblaster live cards which work great with those systems that have the 9mm jack.

Also, nice headphones work great with the cards and you can stop here if you use only headphones.

In terms of "speakers".....For most folks that I have ever helped or to whom I have donated a computer, 95 percent can't really tell the difference between this or that little last percentage of "quality" of sound. After all, a computer is not a theatre sound system anyway.

But, given that, just a pair of ten dollar (usd) speakers with little squeensy wires that break easily don't really cut it.

One really does need the "bass" or "whoofer" to get good sound. And one really should have "large" treble speakers.

I use some really old speakers and whoofer setups that I bought five years ago and when people come over they say....WOAH.....how do you get that great sound?

The answer, very simply, is size of speakers and the subwhoofer/whoofer/bass and...size of wires.

I've got one of the old "Gateway" and one "Cambridge SoundWorks" speakers on either side of my widescreen monitor and the Gateway "whoofer" hanging in a sling below the desk.

The point being here is that the big speakers in the "treble"(Gateway and Cambridge) speakers are seperated spatially for my ears to be able to hear say, an airplane, moving from one side of the screen to the other, AND that they are physically large to be able to easily "vibrate" and there is a "plastic horn" inside the case that "smooths out and broadens" the sound.

Whoofers do not have to be placed in any particular place to produce good "bass" sound because of the size of the wavelength. The best place to put such a speaker is below the table. The problem for me is that I tend to stretch my legs out, flop around, move around, you name it, and I sometimes kick a speaker on the floor so I made a simple sling out of two big pieces of heavy string and tied them to four screws below the table and hung the whoofer in it.

That also offers the convenience of being able to get to the volume control in case somebody complains about the volume of my tank's cannon going off!!

Now you can get a brand new setup to do the same thing but I would not get "pricey" on it,

Wires. Really.

There was a "fad" a few years ago, and it is still around, that to get the absolute highest quality sound out of a system you should use "monster" or "gorilla" wires. Quite simply they are house wires for lamps. 14 ga. wires in a special plastic to look cool.

I don't have a "home theater" system but I did buy a wide screen t.v. and a nice stereo/dvdplayer/tuner setup without wires, I bought the system components individually but as a group(same brand that were matched) and saved money. I then bought a last years surround system, two left right for front and back, the center, and a subwhoofer. The subwhoofer was not matched, got it for a really great price because it was a last year closeout, but since it is in a corner behind a fake plant, nobody sees it anyway.

I then bought 14 gauge wire to match the color of the floor and wired it myself. This is not as hard as it sounds. You can buy jacks you "twist" wire into or you can solder wire into the jacks to go into the "system" "back" but all of the speakers you just remove the wire's plastic cover and slide it into a hole on a post and screw the keeper down.

If you buy the wire at the sound store and measure ahead of time, you can get wire that already have the jacks on on both ends and just cut off the end that goes to the speaker. Sometimes they also sell wire with a jack only on one end.

However, the point here is that the sound store will itself try to sell you "monster cable".

And the reason is very simple. The larger the wire, the less resistance to the flow of electricity there is and the easier it is to get a signal into the speaker and so the speaker produces more sound for less "strain" on the system.

The same goes for computer systems.

Yes, many will argue that the lengths of wires involved are so small as to make no difference in resisntance, and there is a valid argument for that.

And it is hard to "sell" big clunky wires to a person who wants a "neat" desk/comptuer arrangement.

I admit that.

But, since my wires run behind the desk, hanging down, and then up to the back of the tower I don't see them anyway.

The wires on these speakers are not 14 gauge but 16 which is waaayyyyy up in size from the little teensy wires.

I had one set of gateways that really did have 14 gauge wires going to treble speakers that were about the size of a demitasse cup, But the point with them was that the speaker inside filled the whole space, whereas most speakers are dinky and the plastic case is big to impress the buyer.

The sound from them was SO good that a buddy spent quite a while finding enough stuff to trade me out of them that I finally gave them up. But, they did not look cool......they just worked great!

So....to sum this big blather up.

I would recommend going with a less expensive sound blaster card, some large speakers and big wire.

And if you are running speakers on a monitor or headphones exclusively then the card works great also!

sorry for the diversion, but I thought it might relate well to the thread's topic.

woodsmoke

Comment

dual post if a mod would please delete i'd appreciate it.
                woodsmoke

Comment

Woodsmoke - Good info about speakers. I've got a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers connected to this computer, which is probably why I can actually hear that something is wrong, unlike the notebook.

dibi - Here you go!

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
                  Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-VM Motherboard
                  Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Latency: 0
                  Capabilities: <access denied>
                  Kernel modules: intel-agp

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                  Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
                  Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
                  Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
                  I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
                  Memory behind bridge: fa000000-feafffff
                  Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000e0000000-00000000efffffff
                  Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
                  BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR+ NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                  PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
                  Kernel driver in use: pcieport
                  Kernel modules: shpchp

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
                  Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-CM Motherboard
                  Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
                  Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 43
                  Region 0: Memory at f9ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
                  Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
                  Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                  Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
                  Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
                  I/O behind bridge: 00001000-00001fff
                  Memory behind bridge: f4000000-f41fffff
                  Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f4200000-00000000f43fffff
                  Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
                  BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR+ NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
                  Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
                  I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
                  Memory behind bridge: feb00000-febfffff
                  Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f4400000-00000000f45fffff

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
                  Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-VM,P5LD2-VM Mainboard
                  Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23
                  Region 4: I/O ports at c480 [size=32]
                  Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
                  Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
                  Region 4: I/O ports at c800 [size=32]

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
                  Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
                  Region 4: I/O ports at c880 [size=32]

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
                  Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 16
                  Region 4: I/O ports at cc00 [size=32]

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
                  Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23
                  Region 0: Memory at f9ffbc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
                  Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
                  Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=32
                  Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
                  Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Kernel modules: leds-ss4200, iTCO_wdt, intel-rng

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
                  Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
                  Region 0: I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
                  Region 1: I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
                  Region 2: I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
                  Region 3: I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
                  Region 4: I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
                  Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
                  Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
                  Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
                  Region 0: I/O ports at c400 [size=8]
                  Region 1: I/O ports at c080 [size=4]
                  Region 2: I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
                  Region 3: I/O ports at bc00 [size=4]
                  Region 4: I/O ports at b880 [size=16]
                  Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
                  Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
                  Region 4: I/O ports at 0400 [size=32]
                  Kernel modules: i2c-i801

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                  Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device c753
                  Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
                  Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
                  Region 0: Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
                  Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                  Region 3: Memory at fa000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
                  Region 5: I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
                  [virtual] Expansion ROM at feae0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                  Kernel driver in use: nvidia
                  Kernel modules: nvidia-current, nouveau, nvidiafb

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet (rev b0)
                  Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
                  Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44
                  Region 0: Memory at febc0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
                  Region 2: I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
                  Kernel driver in use: ATL1E
                  Kernel modules: atl1e

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
                    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
                    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 43
                    Region 0: Memory at f9ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
                    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
                    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
                    OK, Intel ICH7 is a supported controller, and it's using the snd-hda-intel driver. But, it may need an option for your hardware. It is an Asus, right? Desktop or laptop? What is the full model number?

Comment

It's an ASUS motherboard (desktop), and the full model number is P5KPL-CM

Here's the direct link for it.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=6nnVb6RBxd7PhGmt

Comment

OK, first read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

Then look at this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...sound+database

particularly the first group which are "Acer" options.

You are going to edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. You'll need to edit with super-user privileges, so start kate with Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate" and then browse to that file and open it. You will add each option to try at the bottom of the file, and make sure there is a carriage return at the end of the added line.

First, I would try adding "options snd-hda-intel model=auto"

Save the file when the edit is done, then you'll have to reboot your system to see if it works. If it doesn't work, then the next one I would try adding (after deleting the non-working prior one) is "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1"

Rinse and repeat. If that one doesn't work, try changing the "1" to a "2", and retry it.

If that one doesn't work, go ahead and try "options snd-hda-intel model=acer"

Let us know if it gets better.

Comment

I tried all the options, and it was no go on all of them. Finally I decided that since it's an ASUS motherboard, I'll change the last option from "acer" to asus.

It's a little better, but still incredibly "tinny".

Just found an old sound card in the closet, going to put in the computer and see what happens.

Oh yeah, need to disable the onboard audio first!

Thanks for the suggestions, will report back what the stand alone card does.

Comment

Here is some further guidance on snd-hda-intel options: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=616845

Too bad there are a zillion options. In all likelihood, one of those options will make your chip work perfectly, but it might take you a month to try them all .... :P

Comment

Just installed an old Creative Labs Live! card that I had laying around, and the sound was perfect. Kubuntu also had no problem detecting that it was indeed a sound blaster Live card.

You're right that the right option is out there, but the thought of buying new sound card and pressing on is very appealing!

Do you think this is something that might be "fixed" in 11.04?

Comment

Working...
                              X