Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Head configuration w/out xorg.conf?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Head configuration w/out xorg.conf?

I've been running Kubuntu since Hardy, but in one of the upgrades (Jaunty?) Xorg shifted to an autoconfiguration system with no xorg.conf. I get a usable and mostly reasonable X configuration running when I start up, so I'm not inclined to try to construct a valid xorg.conf. However, while X activates both monitors, it always starts up in "clone" mode, with both monitors displaying the same thing. Therefore, on every startup, I have to go into the Hardware - Display and Monitor - Size and Orientation settings panel and change DVI-1 position from "Clone of" DVI-0 to "Right of" DVI-0. After that, I have perfect dual-head support.

Is there any way to get KDE/Kubuntu to retain this setting through restarts? Why do I have to re-enter this position setting moving DVI-1 to the right of DVI-0 every time?

Re: Dual Head configuration w/out xorg.conf?

utilize the xrandr tool and create an .xprofile in your users /home directory.

See Re: Can't make screen size permanent and then look at the command for details and examples.

man xrandr
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Dual Head configuration w/out xorg.conf?

The xrandr command did exactly what was needed, but even after making $HOME/.xprofile executable, it never ran from there. Nor did /etc/xprofile run. I had to fall back on using the kdm startup scripts, in this case /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup. xrandr commands there were run before kdm displayed its login prompt, and the configuration persisted through login, which is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X