This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverik on Eee 900 ?

Well, I suppose it shall work on it: this is not my question....
    My wife's Eee 900 has a Kubuntu 9.04 installed and works fine with it (or at least she is satisfied...). I vaguely remember manipulating a few settings and using some tweaks and tricks to make it fully functional, but basically it is a standard installation. Root occupies the 4 Gb memory disk, while /home is in the 16 Gb disk.
    Basically it is used for Internet surfing and OpenOffice programs. No need for sophisticated audio and video. When it can correctly show a video from YouTube or from a news website and manage a video call using Skype, 98% is done
    What I am wondering is if there would be any real and practical advantage with Maverik on this computer.
    Would it be faster? Would it have better hardware drivers with less need for tweaks and settings? Would it be easier to switch to an external screen?

Any "reason to upgrade" or "reason to stay as it is" will be thoroughly considered.

Many thanks in advance and regards.

Franz

Re: Maverik on Eee 900 ?

"Kubuntu 9.04 installed and works fine with it (or at least she is satisfied...)."
    "Basically it is used for Internet surfing and OpenOffice programs. No need for sophisticated audio and video."

One, it's your wife. She is satisfied (your statement). Do you wan't to mess with that?

Rule of Thumb: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Unless you have a pressing need for features that aren't available to you in 9.04, and you otherwise have a working system that does for you what you want, stick with it. My free, as in free beer, advice.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Maverik on Eee 900 ?

There is one good reason to consider upgrading.

When 9.04 is 18 month old (it should be this month) there is NO security and update support. This can be become a problem in the future and even your browser won't be refreshed anymore.

When upgrading to 10.04 you got support till april 2013, but I downgrade 10.04 back to 9.10 because of lack of good support of my wireless on my eeepc1000h. - So on the other hand is the good argument. Why fix what isn't broke.

It is always a good thing to put a new (k)ubuntu image on a stick and have a test-drive with the computer, so you can see if it is an improvement or not.

Free as meant in alcohol free.<br />Teetotalism rulez. - XXX

Comment

Working...
      X