X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port extender/converter

Hi All.

My partner has just obtained a splendid new laptop which we have running well. It's the 3rd Kubuntu machine on our little home network. The only problem is that some of the USB and audio jack sockets are somewhat inconveniently positioned on the side but near the front of the device so the connecting wires (including the Ethernet connection) get a bit in the way.

There is no docking station available for this machine but it seems that there are devices called "port extenders" or "port converters" that you can plug into a USB port and run round to the back of the machine. Some seem to have USB, audio and Ethernet connectors.

Can anyone tell me if they have experience of such devices on Kubuntu? Are any known to work with Lucid or Maverick?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Re: Port extender/converter

I've been setting up and playing with laptops in the last week so I know what you mean when you say "somewhat inconveniently positioned". Boy, they sure are aggravating devices!

I have no idea what you mean by "converter" since it sounds like you just want convenient access to ports. I use extension chords. Compatibility, of course, is no problem. Use twist ties or zap straps to make a "snake" if you like it neat.

Comment

Thanks, Ole Juul. Yes, they are a bit aggravating!
      Sorry about my confusing wording. I was looking for a device like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-s.../ref=de_a_smtd which appears to offer a number of convenient connections via a single device.
      I always thought that "docking station" referred to devices that you plug your laptop into; here the term seems to apply to a unit just connected with a single USB cable. But the question is, will it work with the Maverick kernel? Hence the first post! Does anyone have experience of such devices in Kubuntu?

Comment

Well, as to it's USB ports, they should work just fine. I have a USB Hub connected to my laptop, giving me five High-speed USB 2.0 ports (on the Hub) from one connected USB 2.0 port on my laptop.

But I'm not sure about the ethernet port this device has. From the Documentation:
        Ethernet Port
        The Docking Station’s Ethernet port is a USB 2.0-to-Fast-Ethernet adapter.
        Connect a network cable (sold separately) to the Ethernet port (G) for high-performance network
        access. The Ethernet port’s indicator lights work as follows:
        • The light to the left of the port glows when there is a network connection.
        • The light to the right of the port glows when there is network activity.
        I have no knowledge of how a USB 2.0-to-Fast-Ethernet adapter works - specifically, does it require a special driver? The device comes with an installation CD (Windows / Mac of course).
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That certainly looks like a nice solution.

I just purchased a Linksys usb to RJ45 adaptor (usb to ethernet). Plugging it in and typing"lsusb" explains all.

Code:
          Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0bda:8150 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
           RTL8150 Fast Ethernet Adapter
          Obviously it is really a network card inside the "adaptor", and as such will require a driver. In the case of the notebook docking station, it would be important to find out what the chip set is, because that is what determines compatibility with Kubuntu (or anything else).

Comment

Working...
          X