This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENLWI-NX2 Wireless card doesn't work

I'm aware that this card doesn't have Linux drivers, but some users have gotten it working with ndiswrapper. I installed ndisgtk, and got the net8190 driver installed, however when I click "Configure Network", it crashes. Here's the output from command line:

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkWindow)
    ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkInvisible)
    ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkObject)

(ndisgtk:1967): libglade-WARNING **: Could not load support for `gnome': libgnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    module configuration information is stored in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/ndisgtk", line 298, in config_network
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/ndisgtk", line 283, in config_network
    xauth_name)
    os.environ["XAUTHORITY"] = xauth_name
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'xauth_name' referenced before assignment
    UnboundLocalError: local variable 'xauth_name' referenced before assignment
    python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:249: process_responses: Assertion `(((long) (dpy->last_request_read) - (long) (dpy->request)) <= 0)' failed.
    Aborted
    lucas@starpunk:~/Documents$ python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:249: process_responses: Assertion `(((long) (dpy->last_request_read) - (long) (dpy->request)) <= 0)' failed.

When I use ndiswrapper -l, I get this:

net8190p : driver installed
    device (10EC:8190) present

When I click on the plug in the tray and go to "Manage Connections", the Wireless tab is greyed out.

Should I use a different driver? Which one?

Re: ENLWI-NX2 Wireless card doesn't work

Hi...

This is just my opinion but I'm wandering if it might be easier to just purchase a compatible wireless card. Although some of the information is a bit dated, here is the list of compatible cards on Ubuntu's WifiDocs. As you probably already know, the right chipset is the key here, not so much the brand. This card is issued with two different chipsets, Ralink and Atheros, each having somewhat different results.

You can also Google "linux friendly wireless cards" to get more information.

Also, is this your current card?

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71

Also, is this your current card?

Regards...

Yes, it is! Thanks!
      I'm going to try some more of those drivers before I throw in the towel...

Comment

Originally posted by pulpfile
        Yes, it is! Thanks!
        I'm going to try some more of those drivers before I throw in the towel...
        You're welcome, although I don't understand why you would be able to use the drivers listed on that particular site.

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I was using ndiswrapper. Unfortunately, the net8190xp.inf file doesn't work any better. It causes the system to hang soon after startup.
          I'm really at a loss what to do here.

My card's ID is 10EC:8190 if that helps...anybody??

Originally posted by ardvark71

You're welcome, although I don't understand why you would be able to use the drivers listed on that particular site.

Regards...

Comment

net8190xp.inf? Are you sure that is correct? From ENLWI-NX2 | 802.11n Wireless 1T2R PCI Adapter download page, the contents of the driver file for Windows XP, 2000, and Vista, show net819xp.inf for each Windows release. Additionally, there is a net819xp.sys file, which is required to be complied with ndiswrapper when building the module. Both files need to be in the same directory that you build the module from. And note also, that the two files must be for the same Windows version.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, it IS net819xp.inf. It hangs the system. I've been installing it with ndiswrapper from the command line:

sudo ndiswrapper -i net819xp.inf

When I do
              ndiswrapper -l
              it shows up, but the wireless network still doesn't appear in wicd. When I reboot, the system hangs, forcing me to disable the driver from recovery mode.

Is it worth it to try the drivers for different Windows versions? Or should I expect the same result?

Comment

You didn't say that both files; the .inf and the .sys file, are in the directory when you build the module. If you only have the .inf, extract and put the matching .sys file there and then build the module.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, both files were in the directory.

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  You didn't say that both files; the .inf and the .sys file, are in the directory when you build the module. If you only have the .inf, extract and put the matching .sys file there and then build the module.

Comment

Well, this is really frustrating. I've tried everything I could think of.
                    I'm going to complain to the manufacturer; but I doubt if that will do much good.

I suppose next step is to get a new card? I really hate to lose this one, but if I want to have any connectivity in Linux, it looks like it's going to be the only choice. (Unless I want to learn how to write my own driver, that is....!)

Comment

you are not using ndiswrapper correctly

vinny@desktop:~$ ndiswrapper
                      install/manage Windows drivers for ndiswrapper

usage: ndiswrapper OPTION
                      -i inffile install driver described by 'inffile'
                      -a devid driver use installed 'driver' for 'devid' (dangerous)
                      -r driver remove 'driver'
                      -l list installed drivers
                      -m write configuration for modprobe
                      -ma write module alias configuration for all devices
                      -mi write module install configuration for all devices
                      -v report version information

where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX,
                      as reported by 'lspci -n' or 'lsusb' for the card
                      vinny@desktop:~$
                      first you do the -i (install) option then you do the -m then the -ma then the -mi options one at a time in order by them selves.

then after you do that you use
                      Code:
                      sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
                      to activate it

I have done this meney times years ago when the kernel dident have as good a set of modules as it dose now for wireless at least the hardware I have.

☯VINNY☯
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                      X