Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[workaround] strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Hi,

I'm currently testing Maveric, but I have seen this on 9.10 as well. [I haven't tried 10.04 on this laptop]

I have a laptop with the intel 945GM video chipset, and can get dual monitors to work fine, but when I use dual monitors, I can't get any video files to actual show video when the layout is left/right.

I have tried all of the video players - smplayer, kaffeine, xine, vlc, dragon, etc - and they all produce sound and work exactly like they are supposed to, with the exception of showing the actual video.

When I go back to a single monitor, video works, and if I put the screens above/below the video also works, just not in the left/right arrangement.

This is very baffling to me, and unfortunately it is very awkward for me to try to arrange one monitor on top of the other on a flat desk - physically and/or virtually.

any fix to this? or has anyone seen this before?

thanks

Re: strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Not an answer to the question, and not a true solution to the problem. But...

Actual positioning of the monitors isn't important. Go ahead and arrange your two monitors 'side by side.' Set the dual monitor configuration to above/below and just note which one is 'top' and which one is 'bottom.' You just then have to remember that mouse navigation to get to/between the two is 'up and down.' Once the cursor appears on the 'other monitor' you can navigate that desktop normally.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Thanks for the input Snowhog. That is one thing I have tried, but I actually almost stumbled upon something to workaround this.

I was playing around and managed to crash X. When it came back up, the video worked in all dual monitor configuration modes, including left/right settings.

So today I booted up, logged in, started system settings and configured dual monitors for left/right settings. No video initially.

Then I logged out and back in [next step would have been to restart X, but didn't need to go that far] and video then did work in the left/right configuration.

For some reason there still seems to be a weird first time problem, but a quick logout and login restores it so I can do left/right, get video, and not get confused.

Comment

Re: [workaround] strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Cool.

Well, 10.10 is "under development."
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X