X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beware of today's upgrade

Originally posted by Fintan
    Plasma has to be re-configured after ever boot
    Really like the KDE 4.5 Beta 2, very tempted to upgrade my 10.04 desktop to it.
    I would wait on that one for a while.
    Yeah... I'm seeing the Plasma-not-saving widget/wallpaper configuration too. Worse, plasma's now leaking memory. I definitely wouldn't recommend updating to the current state.

I'm just going to sit back and wait for the packages to settle. The problems are probably just due to some version mismatch with a KDE component that hasn't been put in the repos yet.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Is ypour plasma desktop (widgets, Background, etc) persistant between boots?
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No. The wallpaper's always reset to the default and there are no widgets. The panel keeps its customizations though.

I see the same results in a VM, so I'm pretty confident it's just the state of the packages. I even tried renaming my .kde directory, in case it was a problem with old settings - but see the same issue with a clean directory.

It's fine though... I hear that gnome is beautiful this time of the year. Actually, I've truly been meaning to see how it's progressed, and this will give me a good excuse to go use it for a day or two.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Is yours still non-persistant (between reboots) today too, Fintan? This morning I saw they updated some KDE/plasma packages and I got my hopes up, but to no joy.

-J

Comment

Yeah, I got those as well and ssdd. :P
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yeah, I got those as well and ssdd. :P
              Oh well, at least we can take consolation that it's not due to something unique to only our own systems (particularly since my vanilla VM also shows the same).

I imagine we'll see new packages in the next couple of days and be back in business. Until then, I'm going to continue playing with Gnome... and slowly remembering why I prefer KDE.

Comment

Really like the KDE 4.5 Beta 2, very tempted to upgrade my 10.04 desktop to it.
                I would wait on that one for a while.
                And on the weekend I did a clean install to revert back to 4.4.4 4.5B2 was nice but just a *little* too flaky in the end.

Comment

As for persistance of widgets:
                  KDE4.5 seems to add a new activity when booting for the first time.

I clicked on the cashew chose activities clicked on each activity without a red cross to "delete" them.

Then I right clicked on the desktop -> desktop settings and chose folderview as activity. Now add widets as desired. reboot and your wdgets are persistant. Now you can choose the desktop of your liking (folderview or desktop).

Not great or as it should be but it works
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I removed the "cashew" from my desktop. Any ideas on how to get it back?

tim

Comment

I clicked on the cashew chose activities clicked on each activity without a red cross to "delete" them.
                      Hmmm... I had never played with activities before... and still do not fully "get" the concept.

But, thanks for the info! I just looked in my virtual machine and it showed about a dozen different activities (mostly blank desktops). I clicked the stop button on each and was able to delete them.

As you pointed out, it still seems to create a new activity every time I reboot, but at least now I can get persistent widgets by making changes in the first activity.

Comment

Originally posted by timek718
                        I removed the "cashew" from my desktop. Any ideas on how to get it back?

tim
                        kquitapp plasma-desktop
                        mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* ~/.kde4/share/ (just to back it up someplace)
                        plasma-desktop &
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

kquitapp plasma-desktop
                          mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma* ~/.kde4/share/ (just to back it up someplace)
                          plasma-desktop &
                          Thanks. A minor correction for future reference (My changes are marked in bold):

kquitapp plasma-desktop
                          mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* ~/holding (just to back it up someplace)
                          plasma-desktop &

Comment

Hmmm...

- It appears to remember the widgets, but not their sizing.

- Rebooted once, and it created 7 or 8 new activities. One of which had an icon somewhat resemblant to a swastika. (maybe it's just in the eye of the beholder)

- Still has a wicked memory leak somewhere (didn't bother trying to find out what, as I expect it's known). I left my system doing nothing last night, and this morning it had used up all 6GB of my RAM, plus about another 2GB+ of swap.

We're definitely in alpha.

Comment

This may be relevant to the "creating new acitivities on reboot" bug/feature.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112385.0

See last message. Basically, turn off the Activity Manager in Systemsettings > Startup-andShutdown > Service Manager.

this will kill your ability to use activities (whatever they may be - I have never used this), but it does solve the problem. It's a problem in kde-4.5, not just maverick.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for the info druid! I'll give that a try.

On a related note, I think I may have solved one of the memory problems: It came to my attention yesterday that after I rebooted, my system was *already* using 5GB of my 6GB or RAM. Top, and other utilities didn't show where it had all gone either.

After a little poking around, I deleted the pack files in /var/lib/ureadahead. After two reboots (the first still showed horrible memory utilization), the system is now using <2GB after rebooting. This looks like a known issue, as I see some ureadahead bugs already filed on launchpad.
                                Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Working...
                                X