Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Device Manager? Only Gnome's in repos.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Device Manager? Only Gnome's in repos.

I left Linux after the lack of support for KDE 3 started causing problems, and after having given KDE 4 (at the time) more than a fair try out. lol I am now medicated so forgive me if my command line memory is temporarily out on an extended lunch break.

I am back to try KDE 4 again... I miss my Linux and am willing to work with KDE 4 even though it still feels so horribly incomplete, and bizarrely arranged, compared to KDE 3, which seemingly did everything and was organized beautifully.

Am I overlooking the device manager in the K menus or is it really not there? If it isn't, what are my options?

Re: No Device Manager? Only Gnome's in repos.

Looking "The Device Manager":

- Device Manager Wiki:
    The Device Manager is a Control Panel applet in Microsoft Windows operating systems. It allows users to view and control the hardware attached to the computer.
    - GNOME device manager based on HAL:
    This is a GNOME program to manage devices and device drivers. It's inspired by hal-device-manager, from the HAL project, but rewritten in C for efficiency and an outlook to actually make it manage devices rather than just show information.

Maybe (?) you are looking these with the KDE 4 SC:

- Plasma/DeviceNotifier:
    The Device Notifier is used for handling pluggable devices such as USB pendrives (also called flash drives or thumb drives), digital cameras, external USB hard drives, etc. It also comes into play when a medium such as a CD or DVD is loaded into an optical drive.
    - Device Actions:
    This module allows you to set up the actions you want to associate when you plug new devices.
    - KInfocenter Wiki:
    Kinfocenter is a utility in KDE that provides information about a computer system.

Something else:

There are third party applications for managing the devices with the KDE 4 - look the KDE-Apps.org

Comment

Working...
    X