Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is mtpfs (and libmtp8) broken for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is mtpfs (and libmtp8) broken for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Kubuntu?

The title pretty much sez it all. How does one find out if said software (I need it to work to connect to a Motoroal Xoom tablet)
    is indeed broken, and how does one find out when a fix has been made?

Re: Is mtpfs (and libmtp8) broken for 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Kubuntu?

Answer is apparently YES!! Kubuntu V10.10 works, so it's just V10.04 that's Brokey!
    Where's the fix/upgrade??

Comment

I am going to guess that you will have to find a newer version of libmtp, or upgrade to 10.10 or later. As is the standard in the *buntus, you do not get newer versions of software in most cases.

in Lucid, libmtp8 is version 1.0.2, Maverick is at 1.0.3, natty jumps to 1.0.6.
      You might be able to find a ppa with a newer version, but you use that at your own risk.

Comment

I found V1.0.3-1 of libmtp8 on Debian as a .deb package. Along with mtpfs of 0.9-3 (and mtp-tools at 1.0.3-1),
        the Motorola Xoom still does not get connected. There has to be some other software involved that keeps
        Lucid Lynx from doing its job. Even the V10.10 installed on a different PC gets slower as mtpfs gets used,
        so someone really has their work cut out for them to get the MTP filing system working correctly.
        Could there be a problem with 'fuse'?

Comment

its not just the mtp library, your system has to be able to identify the device and know what it is and what to do with your extremely new piece of hardware Though I find reports of both success AND failure in 10.10, so who knows what the issue could be.

I have always found mtp support in linux a little lacking at times myself, at least usb mode is a fallback thank goodness

Comment

When you say USB mode, are you talking about having a udev rule for mounting the device?

Comment

no, just having your device show as a removable usb drive (msc mode), my wifes smartphone connects that way, and my mp3 players all have the option for both mtp and msc

Comment

All well and good, how does one go about setting up my system to do this?

Comment

its your device that is set to that, which I have no idea how to do so. My wife won't let me play with her android phone, either, the big meanie

Comment

For the Motorola Xoom, even the Windoze drivers aren't working properly! So for Linux: NADA! >

Comment

Working...
                    X