This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to use krunner to navigate files ?

I'm trying to use krunner (ALT-F2) to navigate: for example if I type "articles" then I can open the "articles" folder in my HOME dir.

I could not get it to work. I have ticked the "places" plugin in the config window, but with no effect.

Could someone help me ?

Re: how to use krunner to navigate files ?

That is not what krunner does.
    KRunner is a tool for searching and launching files and applications. It can also be used for more generic operations such as calculator or unit converter.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

you mean like this

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/kruner.png[/img]

all I can say is that almost all the plug ins are checked and it works fine hear.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        That is not what krunner does.
        KRunner is a tool for searching and launching files and applications. It can also be used for more generic operations such as calculator or unit converter.
        Snowhog, actually it DOES. (at least in KDE 4.5+ and 4.6+. But you have to install addons package for those features. And believe me, with the "plasma-runners-addons" package, Krunner becomes a magic wand.)

For example, when I type Documents, or Pictures in Krunner, It shows the proper place and after I press return, it opens Dolphin at that location.

Originally posted by sanette
        I'm trying to use krunner (ALT-F2) to navigate: for example if I type "articles" then I can open the "articles" folder in my HOME dir.

I could not get it to work. I have ticked the "places" plugin in the config window, but with no effect.

Could someone help me ?
        I suggest you (re)installing plasma-runners-addons package. It might work.

Regards.

Comment

Well I'll be. Cool. Learned another new thing today. Thank's. I didn't have plasma-runners-addons installed, but I was able to get Krunner to 'Open' folders in my users /home directory (not initially, but it did work). But to be on the safe side, I went ahead and installed the package anyway.

What additional functions do you get in Krunner with this package installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Well I'll be. Cool. Learned another new thing today. Thank's. I didn't have plasma-runners-addons installed, but I was able to get Krunner to 'Open' folders in my users /home directory (not initially, but it did work). But to be on the safe side, I went ahead and installed the package anyway.

What additional functions do you get in Krunner with this package installed?
            Searching on wikipedia, wikitravel handling Kopete contacts, calendar events, managing power options (powerdevil), media player, fast user switching, web-shortcuts and so on is already possible.

The only thing I miss is a plugin for the wonderful wolframalpha search engine.

It seems that Krunner is going to overthrow the desktop and declare its independence in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion
              Searching on wikipedia, handling Kopete contacts, calendar events, managing power options (powerdevil), media player, and so on
              So Krunner is just able to 'launch' more apps. That's useful.

Comment

Regards.

I'll try this, thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by sanette

Regards.

I'll try this, thanks !
                  argh. it doesn't work.

I have a big list of options, though:

[img width=188 height=400]http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/568679krunner.jpg[/img]

the highlighted plugin is the one I want to have working...
                  I think this is supposed to work, but for some reason it does not... ??

Comment

Ah: I am able to make it work if I type the full path: like /usr/local/bin

but if I type only "bin", it doesn't find the folder

Is this the way it is supposed to work ?

Comment

Working...
                    X