Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed 2.6.35-25-generic kernel BUT ....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed 2.6.35-25-generic kernel BUT ....

The recommendation of this security announcement is to install the 2.6.35-25-generic kernel.

Using Synaptic I selected that kernel and its header. Synaptic showed no error messages and the install dialog closed upon completion. While watching the process take place I noticed that the update-grub command did not list the 2.6.35-25-generic kernel among those it found.

When I examined the /boot directory I discovered that the necessary files to boot the kernel were missing:
    abi-2.6.35-25-generic
    config-2.6.35-25-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.35-25-generic
    System.map-2.6.35-25-generic
    vmcoreinfo-2.6.35-25-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic

Reinstalling did not help. I installed the source files but the make command failed within a few seconds and I don't want to relearn kernel compiling.

Short of recompiling is there a magic command to generate those boot files?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Installed 2.6.35-25-generic kernel BUT ....

Which packages did you install?

The files come in 'linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic' package (vmlinuz is the kernel image)

Comment

[facepalm]

"Never mind!"
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        [facepalm]

"Never mind!"
        Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the thin, yet strangely satisfying enjoyment of someone ELSE'S senior moment!

Comment

Unnfortunately, my Gilda Radner imitation doesn't hide the fact that these "moments" are happening all to frequently these days.

Comment

Unnfortunately, my Gilda Radner imitation doesn't hide the fact that these "moments" are happening all to frequently these days.
            Yeah, I know -- don't feel all alone.

Comment

At the risk of revealing more of my dementia, when I fired up VBox to run XP it failed and said to run
              /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
              which is required because I upgraded to the 2.6.35-25-generic kernel.

BUT, that command failed because I hadn't installed the source code, or at least the dkms. When I fired up Synaptic I discovered that the source for the 2.6.35-25-generic kernel is not in the repository.

Comment

Installing on Linux hosts - Prerequisites
                describing the benefit of installing dkms (I have it installed).
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ya, I had to resort to the dkms to get my VB running again, but I prefer the source. I was hoping someone has a quick url/ftp to the Ubuntu 2.6.35-25-generic source. It's not in the repositories I am familiar with.

Comment

Open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install --simulate linux-source
                    You'll see what will be installed. Here, with my 2.6.38* kernel, the linux-source-2.6.38 package would be installed along with the other packages.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You can probably pick up linux-source-2.6.35 from maverick repos, doesn't seem to be available in lucid-security.

Do you really need the source, isn't the headers package enough to build modules?

Comment

The dkms works fine, but I always like to have the source around "just in case". It's my security blanket.

But, I installed the 2.6.35-25-generic kernel from:
                        deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted
                        deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted

Comment

The dkms works fine, but I always like to have the source around "just in case". It's my security blanket.
                          That's of course perfectly fine , but you generally only need the whole source tree if you are compiling the kernel itself, for kernel modules the headers are usually enough (whether built manually or automatically with dkms).

Just a suggestion, though, in case you can get the headers for your kernel from the lucid repos. If you want the whole source, you'll likely have to pick it from maverick.

Comment

I used to compile the kernel regularly to get it to work right with my hardware, but when precompiled modules became the norm, along with "out of the box" automatic configuration, I stopped. I never did stop wanting to have the full source around, "just in case".

Since linux-updates doesn't have it I will go to Maverick for it.

Comment

Why doesn't this come up as a regular update/upgrade. I did it manually and it booted up as Ubuntu although the desktop is still KDE and Firefox scrolling was dreadful as it used a generic video driver. It would not let me install the ATI video driver for some reason, so I took it back off.

Comment

Working...
                              X