This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's back: Phantom window

Since upgrading to 10.10, I see a "phantom" window, that is, just a window edge, in the ULH corner of the screen and occupying about 2/3 of the screen in either direction. The window contents (whatever they may be) are transparent but it's not very pretty. I see it on both of my "desktops" (Is that the right term for those plasma thingies?).

What can this come from?

'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Phantom window

i have seen this before. im not sure what causes it but it very easy to fix.

system settings->Workspace Apperance ->Desktop Theme , and just change the theme. hit apply and it should go away, you can then set your theme back and hit apply again. your "window" should be gone now. (you might be able to fix by changing the desktop type too.., but i have not tried that way)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Phantom window

Originally posted by sithlord48
      i have seen this before. im not sure what causes it but it very easy to fix.

system settings->Workspace Apperance ->Desktop Theme , and just change the theme. hit apply and it should go away, you can then set your theme back and hit apply again. your "window" should be gone now. (you might be able to fix by changing the desktop type too.., but i have not tried that way)
      That worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Re: AGAIN: Phantom window

Uh, I did a dist-upgrade yesterday to 2.6.35-27 and now the trick does not work any more.

In addition, the Plasma cashew is no longer in the URH corner of the screen. But the phantom window has a tab "General" which seems to have replaced the cashew.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Re: It's back: Phantom window

I don't know if this is related, but since the dist-upgrade, when I click on the launcher or any of the buttons like the volume control, the window appears at the TOP of my screen instead of the bottom. That's a nuisance because it requires more moving around of the mouse.

Comment

Related to this, how can I tell which version of Plasma is installed?

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
              Related to this, how can I tell which version of Plasma is installed?
              Code:
              sudo apt-cache policy plasma-desktop

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                Code:
                sudo apt-cache policy plasma-desktop
                Well, dibl, that answers one of my questions. Here's mine:
                Code:
                $ sudo apt-cache policy plasma-desktop
                plasma-desktop:
                 Installed: 4:4.5.5-0ubuntu1ppa1
                 Candidate: 4:4.5.5-0ubuntu1ppa1
                 Version table:
                 *** 4:4.5.5-0ubuntu1ppa1 0
                    500 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu/[/url] maverick/main amd64 Packages
                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                   4:4.5.1-0ubuntu8 0
                    500 [url]http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] maverick/main amd64 Packages
                I gather this means I'm at Plasma 4.5.5.

Now, I just noticed that something has happened (I wish I knew what) and that my phantom window is gone. Not only that, but when I click on the launcher or anything else on the panel, it opens at the bottom where it belongs. It's as if there had been some sort of synchronisation problem with the screen, like you used to see on tv sets. Hmmm....

Comment

Working...
                X