This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Can't install True Type fonts

I want to use the Verdana font. I found I should install msttcorefonts, but that does not seem to exist for 10.04. However ttf-mscorefonts-installer does, so I installed that.

Still no Verdana font in Open Office, even after restarting it.

What to do?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Can't install True Type fonts

Did you follow these directions? The second command, sudo fc-cache -fv turned out to be the missing link for me.

And I'm on 10.04 as well. There was a msttcorefonts package available for me. Are you sure you have your repositories correct?

EDIT:I just looked at my apt-cache and when you ask to install msttcorefonts, it installs the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. I think this is just a formality or something. Install it and do the cache update command above.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I have restarted my computer since posting this. After reading your post, I checked again and Verdana is now present. I guess the reboot must update the cache.

Thanks for your help!
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Can't install True Type fonts

Glad you got it sussed. Could you now please mark this thread as solved to help others with the same question - thanks
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
          Glad you got it sussed. Could you now please mark this thread as solved to help others with the same question - thanks
          I did. Well, I called it RESOLVED. Won't that do? If not, I'll change it.

Comment

We have posted simultaneously, I certainly didn't get a warning message. Must say, first time I've experienced this on this forum.

Great minds think alike
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              Great minds think alike
              I like that! Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
                Did you follow these directions? The second command, sudo fc-cache -fv turned out to be the missing link for me.

And I'm on 10.04 as well. There was a msttcorefonts package available for me. Are you sure you have your repositories correct?

EDIT:I just looked at my apt-cache and when you ask to install msttcorefonts, it installs the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. I think this is just a formality or something. Install it and do the cache update command above.
                I come from OpenSuSELand, where complicated things are complicated. In KubuntuLand, simple things are complicated! It really cracked me up when after installing 10.10, Firefox was not installed, just Firefox-Installer. And I had to google help on that! Still, Kubuntu is a very stable distro!!!

Comment

hmm ... googling for help with a GUI installer.

sorry things are troublesome for you.
                  Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                  Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                  Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
                  X