This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMware and XP Window

[SOLVED] I have a 10.04 Kubuntu machine on which I've been running an XP vm. It was doing fine, until . . .
    Two things happened: 1) the XP window maximized, blotting out the VMware toolbar, and 2) the taskbar on the XP machine stopped responding to anything. The rest of the XP machine was fine; I could run programs, browse the web, etc.
    Now, instead of switching between the Kubuntu and the XP installations by using the minimize button on the VMware toolbar, I have to shut down the XP machine to get access to the Kubuntu installation. Is there some key combination that will "un-maximize" the XP window?
    Thanks.

Re: VMware and XP Window

I think you might be in "unity" mode.

When you open VMware, before you start the VM, go into the settings, and set the video to start in a window. Then start the VM, and it should be in a window with borders, including the top menu were you can adjust it.

Comment

Uh, I don't mean to sound even dumber than I usually do, but when I look in vmware, before opening the vm itself, the only things I see that seem relevant are "Display," on the Hardware tab and "Unity" on the Options tab. The Unity option offers me "show borders," "show badges," and "use custom color to identify the vm" under the heading "Window Decorations. Then there is a heading called "Applications" that has a single checkbox: "Enable applications menu." It also notes that the options are available only when running VM Tools in the vm. When I go into the vm, VM Tools shows on the taskbar, but the taskbar does not respond, so I cannot open Tools.
      The worst of it is, I did not (consciously, at least) change any settings at all. That's not to say that I didn't do so inadvertently. Is there a how-to for taking the bullet out of one's foot?

Comment

Actually, it turns out that it wasn't in unity mode; it was in "full screen" mode, which I had never encountered on my office machine. That's why I could not get access to the VMware "File," "Virtual Machine" and "Help" menu bar.
        <Ctrl><Alt><Enter> ends full screen mode.

Comment

Aha -- well I'm sorry I wasn't able to be more helpful, and I'm glad you got it sorted on your own. I've triggered that same phenomenon myself, but it's been awhile and I couldn't remember exactly what the problem was.

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: VMware and XP Window

Au contraire; you were mon ami. Without your suggesting unity mode, I would not have found the answer. The VMware material I found on unity mode led me to the material on full-screen mode that gave me the key combination to resolve the problem. (I was going to try to pretend that I tried random key combinations until I randomly happened on this one, but I didn't think I could carry it off.)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Re: VMware and XP Window

Originally posted by Don
              (I was going to try to pretend that I tried random key combinations until I randomly happened on this one, but I didn't think I could carry it off.)

Comment

Working...
              X