X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Weired/Wrong Placement of Plasma Panel-Widgets Popups

Hi All,
    yesterday I did a regular update on both of my kubuntu machines (10.4, 64bit). The update involved a lot of changes to core-KDE stuff.
    Upon reboot, on my laptop (ATI Video Card; my workstation has NVidia) the plasma desktop completely died, i.e. it went black in reboot and was not responsive, although the panels (I have two) still worked, and I was able to start programs normally. All non-panel-widgets (on the plasma desktop).
    Additionally, on both of my machines the pop-up windows and context menus associated with some panel-widgets (like Application Launcher and Quick Access) end up on the upper end of the screen and are often partially outside of the screen (which makes Quick Access pretty useless). Even Amarok initially appeared in the upper left corner when opening from the system tray, but I was able to force it into place with a window rule in system settings (this does not happen to Kopete though).
    Other programs and widgets not associated with the panel work normally.
    Now I upgraded the KDE-version on my laptop from 4.4 to 4.5(.3) and the plasma desktop is back again; all my widgets were still gone (no big deal though), but the problem with the panel-widget-popups still persists (on both machines).

Does anyone have the slightest idea where this annoying panel-widget-popup-placement-problem comes from? Does anyone else have this problem? And does anyone know how to fix it?
    I'm considering to upgrade to kubuntu 10.10, in the hope that this problem will disappear, but I don't want to run into even more trouble... any thoughts or experience with that?

Thanks,
    Chopstick

Re: Weired Problem with Plasma Widgets after regular Update

One more observation: on my work station I have two monitors. The two panels are on the right monitor, but all popups coming from the panel appear on the left monitor (and close to the top of the screen, even for the lower panel).

I've found an associated bug-report in the KDE-forums: Bug 252576 - plasma popups and tooltips do not appear adjacent to their associated panel widget (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=252576)

Comment

Re: Weired/Wrong Placement of Plasma Panel-Widgets Popups

I've deleted all plasma config files in ~/.kde/share/config/ (plasm*) and started from an empty plasma-desktop after reboot. Now everything is back to normal and all popups are placed correctly. But I had to add all my widgets again manually... I've posted the faulty config files on the bug-report page above.

Choptick

Comment

Re: [solved] Weired/Wrong Placement of Plasma Panel-Widgets Popups

P/S An upgrade to Maverick Meerkat did not fix the bug.

Comment

Working...
        X