Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a shortcut to restart video output?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a shortcut to restart video output?

so i keep having this random problem with the video output not always completing the "hand off" or "handshake" (i've heard it referred as both) when switching between tv inputs...

i have my computer hooked up to my HDTV via an HDMI cable. the problem is when i switch the tv input to the set top box or a gaming console & try to switch back to the computer input, i never know if the desktop is gonna show up or i'll just get a blank screen & either have to press "Last" on the tv remote to just back & forward between signal input or have to get up, unplug the HDMI cable & re-plug it back in to get the desktop to show again... also, doing the keyboard shortcut to logout without confirmation works basically every time.

what i'm trying to find out is if there is a program that i can make into a keyboard shortcut to reset the video output so i don't have to continue with the hassle i have now listed above.

thank you in advance & Happy New Year to everyone
    Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Re: is there a shortcut to restart video output?

It really hard with this little information to go on what exactly is happening. You ought to do more testing to determine what exactly sets off the problem - is it time based or totally random?, is it the TV or the computer video?

You could try the xset command to see if it will restart the video:

xset dpms force on

I'd open a terminal, type the command, and keep the window focused, switch back and forth a couple of time until the screen blanks, then hit enter.

If it works, you can set it to a little used key on your keyboard or a spare mouse button.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X