Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] sound card not working properly (ALSA forgets it on shutdown?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] sound card not working properly (ALSA forgets it on shutdown?)

I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop. I upgraded my ALSA to version 1.0.23. Two days ago I bought a new sound card, because the old onboard one was really bad quality and it was having weird problems (half the time when I powered it up, it worked fine, and the other half it would only play sounds from standard KDE programs; e.g. Konversation and Dragon would work, but not Chrome or VLC). I've been having a slightly different issue with the new one, though. The model is this one.

Here's the problem I'm having: I boot my machine, I get no audio, and I get this lovely error. I click `no', obviously. I have no sound for the rest of the session. If I run alsaconf and then I reboot, it works perfectly, but if I power off for long enough (say, an hour or more I'd guess, but I haven't really timed it) and then I start it back up, it just goes back to that error box and no sound. I've been researching this, and I can't seem to find any way to fix it.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

P.S. Oh and I'll tell you this too, it might make a difference, I'm not sure. I have two other audio devices installed, neither of which I use. One is for the microphone that's built into my usb webcam, and the other is for the HDMI output on my video card. I've disabled my onboard sound card through the BIOS, so that one isn't installed. Again, I'm not sure if that matters, but it might.

Re: sound card not working properly (ALSA forgets it on shutdown?)

Okay, I'm pretty sure I fixed it. I blacklisted the modules that control the HDMI audio, and it's been working so far.

Comment

Working...
    X