Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Empty desktop, no widget and no workspace after a crash of Plasma Netb

I no longer can access the Plasma Netbook interface after a crash of KDE >. I can login using the graphical interface but KDE displays an empty plasma netbook workspace (no widgets, no command bar, just wallpaper). After a while the wallpaper is filled with black and white chessboard patterns. I would like to know how to recover my plasma netbook workspaces. Many thanks.

Pierre
    Asus EEE 901
    Kubuntu 10.04 LTS (Plasma Netbook)

Re: Empty desktop, no widget and no workspace after a crash of Plasma Netbook

Originally posted by unthahorsten
    I no longer can access the Plasma Netbook interface after a crash of KDE >. I can login using the graphical interface but KDE displays an empty plasma netbook workspace (no widgets, no command bar, just wallpaper). After a while the wallpaper is filled with black and white chessboard patterns. I would like to know how to recover my plasma netbook workspaces. Many thanks.

Pierre
    Asus EEE 901
    Kubuntu 10.04 LTS (Plasma Netbook)
    Probably your plasma configuration files are corrupted. If you don't mind losing your previous plasma settings (which is pretty easy to reconfigure, after all), use the following commands to let KDE reconfigure plasma netbook workspace:

1. If you can get to that "black" screen, you should be able to use krunner (or I hope you can). Press ATL+F2 to open Krunner, then type "Konsole" in it. A Konsole window should be opened.

2. Now we are going to delete the plasma configuration files, so just copy paste the following code konsole then press RETURN:

Code:
    rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*
    3. Restart your netbook.

If nothing happens after restart, and you still get a blank screen, open KRunner (Alt+F2) and type "Workspace" there, run it and switch your workspace to either netbook, or desktop.

Regards.

Comment

Re: Empty desktop, no widget and no workspace after a crash of Plasma Netbook

First of all, many thanks for your help. Unfortunately, that does not solve my case. My netbook workspace remains empty, no command bar, nothing... By the way, ALT-F2 does not work to open krunner.

Before reinstalling everything I try to find out what has screwed up plasma netbook on my EEE. KDE has logged interesting errors at startup in the .xsessions-errors. I read messages such as "qUncompress: Z_DATA_ERROR: Input data is corrupted". Which files are corrupted? Or is that corrupted data that are communicated via D-Bus? I see also errors coming from Sycoca (the KDE System Configuration cache). Could someone explain me the meanings of all these errors? You will find below an excerpt from the xsessions-errors file.

Many thanks,

Pierre

Code:
      Xsession: X session started for pierre at Mon Nov 29 23:18:42 CET 2010
      Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
      Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
      startkde: Starting up...
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
      qUncompress: Z_DATA_ERROR: Input data is corrupted
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
      kbuildsycoca4 running...
      kbuildsycoca4(1278)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kbuildsycoca4(1278)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kded(1276): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed. 
      Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
      the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." " 

kded(1277): "Error launching /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4. Either KLauncher is not running anymore, or it failed to start the application." 

kded(1277)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kded(1277)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kcminit_startup.so
      klauncher(1275)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      klauncher(1275)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      qUncompress: Z_DATA_ERROR: Input data is corrupted
      Waiting for already running kbuildsycoca4 to finish.
      kcminit(1309)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kcminit(1309)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kbuildsycoca4: ERROR writing database '/var/tmp/kdecache-pierre/ksycoca4'!
      kbuildsycoca4: Disk full?
      kbuildsycoca4 running...
      kbuildsycoca4(1313)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kbuildsycoca4(1313)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::checkVersion: Found version 44 , expecting version 162 or higher. 
      kded(1277): "KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling kdeinit_exec_wait:
      Connection was disconnected before a reply was received
      "

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Empty desktop, no widget and no workspace after a crash of Plasma Netb

I had to clean up the KDE cache and KDE temp directory (after stopping KDM) and that's all :P

Code:
        sudo service kdm stop
        rm /var/tmp/kdecache-<username>
        rm /tmp/kde-<username>
        sudo service kdm start
        Regards,

Comment

Working...
        X