X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Fixed] Abnormal characters display, and unaccessible files

Hello,

I have a problem with KDE, and this from its 3.XX versions (now, i'm using a 4.XX version), the problem is that the characters of some files name is not normally displayed, here is a screenshot for an example:

And the most important problem, is that i can't use theses files under KDE, can't open them, rename them, move them... It's like if they doesn't exist.

But these files can be used normally under Ubuntu with gnome, and under another operating systems, it's only under KDE that i have this problem.

Thank you for giving me a reply.

Re: Abnormal characters display, and unaccessible files

My two thoughts are that your problem is either a system font selection problem or a keyboard model problem.

Open systemsettngs (KGear --> Settings --> Systemsettings) and look at "Font Installer" or "Device Input". For Device Input you want to take the "Keyboard" option and on its panel you will see a label called "Keyboard Model", just to the left of a dropdown combo box. Using that dropdown combo box you can select another keyboard model which may fit your keyboard more closely, so that pressing a key will give you the character you think it should be.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you for the reply GreyGeek,

I tried what you suggested, but there is no change, and i want to say that i don't have a problem with the text that I type with the keyboard, everything is fine, and those abnormally displayed characters are non-ASCII characters of files that I put on my computer under another operating system, and somtimes, when i receive files from instant messenging contacts, the name of the received files is displayed with these abnorma characters, and isn't accessible, I can't open it, can't use it.

Comment

Then the issue is likely the character encoding being used, that, and the files are coming from another country who's language contains characters that your character encoding can't interpret correctly.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello,

I'm using the frenche language, and this is what I choosed when I installed Kubuntu, the encoding must be UTF-8 by default. I think that the settings are the same then the Gnome version of Ubuntu, but under the Gnome version, I have'nt this problem. It's only under Kubuntu, from the 3.XX versions, and the problem persists under the 4.XX versions.

Can you telle me how to change the default system encoding? Perhaps the ISO-8859-15 will work fine.

Thank you.

Comment

KGear --> Settings --> Systemsetting --> Application Appearance --> Fonts
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: [Fixed] Abnormal characters display, and unaccessible files

I fixed the problem by using Pcmanfm Filemanager to open the concerned files.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Comment

Working...
              X