Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved ?]Lock/Leave plasmoid non-functional after update.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved ?]Lock/Leave plasmoid non-functional after update.

Kubuntu 10.4 running KDE 4.5.1 got a kernel update notification. I installed it and rebooted.
    Now I have to open a Konsole and issue "sudo poweroff" (or reboot) to power down (or reboot). Clicking on the plasmoid icon no longer throws up the logout/powerdown dialog.

Can't run the previous kernel because after this kernel upgrade I had to run
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    to recompile DKMS and kernel headers so that Maverick would run under VirtualBox.

So, I'll be waiting for a future upgrade to fix the lock/leave plasmoid. (BTW, I do NOT have OOo quick start installed and I'm not going to put "apci=force" in grub)

EDIT:
    I never use the "Lock" part of the "Lock/Leave" plasmoid button but I tried it this morning. It works! Only the Leave button does not present a user dialog when clicked.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Lock/Logout plasmoid non-functional after update.

Another item that broke was the display of wicd in the system tray. But, I can still call it up from the menu.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Re: Lock/Leave plasmoid non-functional after update.

Kubuntu 10.4 running KDE 4.5.1 got a kernel update notification....
      Kernel version ? (> FAQ: Version info)

Package version ? (> FAQ: How to get list of installed packages)

Here:
      Code:
      dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
      linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic install
      linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic install
      linux-image-2.6.35-14-generic install
      linux-image-2.6.36-1-generic install
      linux-image-generic install
      Code:
      dpkg -s linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic
      Package: linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic
      Version: 2.6.32-25.45

Is it from the updates or from the proposed ?

> FAQ: Repositories
      -Proposed is the testing area for -updates. A number of people must give positive feedback on these packages before they are allowed into -updates. This repository is recommended ONLY to people interested in helping to test updates and provide feedback. Since they are in effect testing updates, there is a higher chance of defective updates in this repository.
      ...They may never reach recommended or they may be replaced with a more recent update...
      More > Testing - Enable Proposed
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Lock/Leave plasmoid non-functional after update.

32-26 from Lucide proposed/main.

I renamed ~/.kde to ~/.kde_backup and logout and then back in. With a new ~/.kde the lock/logout plasmoid worked well. I restored the old ~/.kde and the problem returned, so I decided that I would spend Sunday going through that directory and test each setting in it to see where the problem resided.

Well, this morning a miracle happened. I took my notebook to church (BibleTime and Xiphos) and when I turned it on wicd was in the system tray! I checked the logout plasmid and it worked too! Seems like things have healed themselves.

Everything is ok.

Comment

Re: [Solved ?]Lock/Leave plasmoid non-functional after update.

Seems like things have healed themselves.
          +1
          see http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114486.0.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Well, I expect the occasional bump in the road because I have updates on automatic and in the background. I also have faith that problems always work themselves out ... simply because they always have in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Well, I expect the occasional bump in the road because I have updates on automatic and in the background.
              Dude, you do like to live "on the edge" don't you? I have nothing 'on automatice' and never will. Call me a control freek, but I want to know what my system to inform me of want it wants to do, and I'll decide if I want to allow it to happen.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

MY "automatic" includes all bug fixes, security updates and new kernel versions. All other installs are at my discretion.

But, during the last two years an amazing change has occurred around my thinking and use of computers. From 1978, when I bought the first Apple ][+ sold in the state of Nebraska, to June 13, 2008, my professional life revolved around computers and programming. Computers/Programming was my work, my hobby and my fun. I fully expected to continue writing software for personal reasons. But, aside from installing all my programming tools, messing around with Factor (because it is a Forth -- the language I loved the most), and doing a couple consultations for my former employer, I haven't written a serious line of code since I retired. And, I doubt I ever will.

My wife and I spend more time doing things together than we ever did in the past, when I was "too tired after a long day at work". Three wonderful grandsons get my immediate attention when ever they want it, regardless of what I am doing at the time. I read more now than I ever have. In the last year I have read several dozen scifi books ... just about all of the good scifi on the shelves of the Library closest to me, except those which depend too much on "hot, throbbing rods" to hold interest.

Basically, I use my computer to support my friends who have replaced their Windows installation with Kubuntu, read and write email, check on news, weather and sports, occasionally google something (besides for answers on this site), edit my wife's family history, occasionally use Wolfram's math site, Stellarium, KMyMoney, Skype and a few other apps. I regularly visit LinuxToday, Slashdot, Science Daily, DrudgeReport, CNN and UGWeather, and any sites they link to in their stories. I hate FaceBook and Twitter. I hooked up with ClassMates a month ago so I could find out how many of my old HS classmates are still alive, because I never made it to any reunion, including the 50th.

If I were to stop visiting THIS site my computer usage would drop from 8+ hours per day to probably less than one hour per day. For me, Kubuntu simply works, with the occasional glitches during upgrades, which always seem to iron themselves out.

Comment

"For me, Kubuntu simply works,..."

Same here. I read the horror reports posted here by 'some' members, but I've never experienced any of them; not a one. I've only tried a few other distros - Debian, Dreamlinux, sidux, and Ubuntu, but Kubuntu is what I've stuck with since Edgy Eft. Kubuntu rocks!
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X