This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.04 and WoW

So, I'm fairly new to the whole Linux scheme of things, but I have a step dad, my real dad, and a college buddy who are all into Linux. The only one within range to physically assist me is my college buddy, but we know how college guys can be. So, here I am kind of winging it as I go.

I will say that I have dealt with Kubuntu back when it was at 8.04 as I installed it on the newer computer then gave it to my daughter to use. LOL!

Now, down to business.

I am currently running Kubuntu 10.04 with Wine 1.2 using the Linux provided ATI proprietary for my Radeon HD 4600 series. I have everything else working well through Kubuntu and Wine except for, you guessed it, World of Warcraft!

Now, I don't have your typical issues that you see in most of the posts out there. I've done all my tweaks to the registry and the config.wtf file. I've gone through several different setups to get WoW to run at 28-32 fps with no Addons, 18-22 fps with Addons, and it runs smoother and with a better quality than what I had with Winblows. My issue is now stemming while in the game.

When I am in-game and just hanging around, the fps stay up, but once I kill a few mobs or deal with a few items, my fps drop to 4-6. I have tried looking in many different forums and posts to see if someone had an issue similar and found none. Closest I found was one referring to something possibly running in the background while WoW was running and that has not been the case here.

I'm posting here as opposed to the WoW forums for one reason, Linux users are sure to be looking on here. The problem may be in-game, but it could also be something that I haven't tried with the tweaking of the files. There is one thing I have NOT tried though. I haven't been able to try installing the ATI driver that the ATI website offers as I am told I have to be logged in as the Super User to install it. Tried figuring that out with no positive results.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope I gave enough of a basic info to start some where.

Re: Kubuntu 10.04 and WoW

I would definitely suggest installing the proprietary ATI driver first. There's no such thing as "logging in" to super-user anymore. Instead, sudo is your new friend. I'm sure if you do some searching, somebody has a tutorial that'll guide you through the installation process.

Other than that, I think your time would better be spent posting this question on the Wine forums. It appears to be less of a Kubuntu problem.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Wine 1.2 is quite old. Install the current Wine 1.3.4 from here:
      https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Also install the package winetricks. Open a Konsole window and (while connected to the internet) enter the following:
      winetricks d3dx9

Install the proprietary Ati driver (fglrx) from here:
      https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

And, after you do what Yuri suggests, read this, which leads to here.

You also may want to look at CodeWeaver's CrossOver Games product.
        http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/
        and its WOW link: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...me?app_id=1185
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X