Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] kmplayer segfaults and I cannot install debugging symbols...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] kmplayer segfaults and I cannot install debugging symbols...

There is a problem I have since switching to Kubuntu from Debian, about two years ago: I cannot use kmplayer, since it always crashes with a segmentation fault when loading video files. I've been searching around a few times, but I didn't take my quest too seriously, given the sheer amount of video players available; still, since it seems this is not a common problem, I find it irritating. So I finally decided to send a bug report; but I cannot find a kmplayer-dbg package to install, so there is no information available for the calls to libkmplayercommon, making the backtrace rather useless...

I tried to find alternate repositories containing packages with debugging available, but didn't manage to find more than the usual ones.

Suggestions to install debugging symbols as well as hints to solve the problem are highly welcome!

Re: kmplayer segfaults and I cannot install debugging symbols...

Try smplayer, it's a much better mplayer frontend than kmplayer. It's also Qt-based.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Re: kmplayer segfaults and I cannot install debugging symbols...

Thank you Yuri, I tried it and it looks rather sweet...

Anyway, in the meantime I solved my problem with mplayer... "what can be a problem which followed me for many releases, and which nobody else seems to be having?", I thought; so I removed the data directory of mplayer...
      Code:
      rm -rf /home/fms/.kde/share/apps/kmplayer/
      ... and voilà, kmplayer is working again!

I suppose I had a very obsolete version of that directory... Hope this experience helps somebody else!

Comment

Working...
      X