This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFox freezing/hogging since upgrade

Since I upgraded to KDE 4.5 every time a new url is opened (whether in a new tab or in an existing tab doesn't matter) FireFox (3.6.10) hogs one of my cores and freezes completely for a couple of seconds. What could be causing this strange behaviour and how do I stop it from happening?

Re: FireFox freezing/hogging since upgrade

Very odd, I don't have that here with Firefox 3.6.10 on Kde 4.5.1.
    You could try reinstalling the firefox package. If that doesn't help, probably one of the add-ons went awry. Open the Add-ons dialog in Firefox and click on the "Find updates" button. If that doesn't help either, you'll have to find out which add-on is causing trouble. Disable all of them and then re-enable one at a time and see with which add-on the problems come back.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

If that doesn't work creating a new Firefox profile can help.

Export your bookmarks to an html file and then rename (don't delete) the hidden folder /home/.firefox (or it might be .mozilla firefox - I'm at a windows machine right now).

When you next run FF it will create a new profile, and FF should be shiny as a new pin. You can then import the bookmark html file and reinstall your themes and extensions. Do it one by one so you can see if one of them is not playing nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        If that doesn't work creating a new Firefox profile can help.

Export your bookmarks to an html file...
        No need to do that. Simply go to the bookmarks backup folder and copy the latest file to a safe location:

/home/username/.mozilla/firefox/dfskks56.default/bookmarkbackups

The name of the .default folder in the firefox folder starts with 8 random letters and numbers, so it will be different for you.

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        I'm at a windows machine right now).
        Shame on you!
        Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Hm, uninstalling firefox seems to have opened a whole other can of worms. Anyway, first I tried to change the profile.ini-file to give me the 'change profile'-screen at start-up but without ado. So, I uninstalled and installed firefox, after which I got a complaint there was a firefox-process running whilst there was nothing of the sort to be seen. When I finally found the 'install firefox'-shortcut again I noticed Synaptic didn't add 'kmozillafirefox' to its dependencies.
          So, now I've got a completely pristine firefox, but it doesn't just stop there either. No, now I can start it up, but when I try to open the menu-item 'add-on' firefox just crashes.

Comment

Working...
          X