This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KPackageKit: "A problem that we were not expecting has occurred"

Can't seem to remove what I have written, so I'll just add here at the top that the solution was found in the Synaptic message - (at the bottom here). I removed Skype from sources. And now the message is gone.

Background: Using Lucid 64-bit.
    Since I have had trouble with Kontact Kmail - crashes every time I use it (although Akonadi and contact addresses do work) - I installed Evolution. Along with Evolution came a lot of Gnome stuff. Evolution does not crash, but it is not fully integrated, I see - no system tray icon, and I have to enter a personal code every time (the "Wallet" evidently does not apply).

Now when the system checks updates, it gives me the above error message.
    I throw out Evolution - but of course the Gnome stuff does not disappear. And the error message persists.
    Any ideas out there?

Here is the error message:

Error Type:
    Error Value: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, exceptions.SystemError found
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2216, in
    main()
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2213, in main
    run(args, options.single)
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2175, in run
    backend.dispatcher(args)
    File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 699, in dispatcher
    self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
    File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 606, in dispatch_command
    self.refresh_cache(force)
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 202, in _locked_cache
    func(*args, **kwargs)
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1498, in refresh_cache
    format_string(error.message))
    File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 723, in format_string
    txt = unicode(text, encoding, errors='replace')

When I try to refresh with Synaptic Package Manager, i get this:
    Failed to fetch http://download.skype.com/linux/repo...64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 204.9.165.82 80]
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Re: [SOLVED] KPackageKit: "A problem that we were not expecting has occurred"

Skype IS in the normal repository: lucid/main (archive.canonical.com)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KPackageKit: "A problem that we were not expecting has occurred"

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      Skype IS in the normal repository: lucid/main (archive.canonical.com)
      Ah! Well, just goes to show - once again - that the simplest way is often the best in Kubuntu :-)

Comment

Working...
      X