This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Kontact isn't updated?

I'm suffering this problem for more than a week now. The Kubuntu Beta Backports PPA contains Kontact 4.5 beta 3. I have added the Beta Backports for a long time now and Adept and Synaptic both tell me that beta 3 is installed. But when I go to Kontact>>>About Kontact, it still shows me I'm running beta 1. And that's true, 'cause beta 3 brings some improvements and bug fixes which I don't notice. So I'm clearly running beta 1, although beta 3 is published and installed on my system.

How come?

Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Re: Kontact isn't updated?

Which PPA are you using?

I can't find Kontact 4.5 in:
    ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta

or in

ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry, I meant Experimental

ppa:kubuntu-ppa/experimental
      https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...e/experimental
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Ah...okay. Well experimental PPA's can be tricky.

I would wait a while. If you need Kontact ASAIK Kontact / akonadi are in full development at the moment and will probably be out by kde4.5.2 /.3

For the moment I am using TB with lightning and google add-ons for this reason.

Akonadi Google-resources are really buggy and do not sync correctly yet.
        Since I have a android phone I need those synching capabilities.

But that is just me

Edit:
        having said that you can use the experimentals for the app you want to "play" with but then disable it.
        Otherwise you may get unwanted "updates" that could really bork something.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just upgraded kontact from the experimentals and can confirm your issue.

Kontact on both lucid and maveric show beta1.

I will have a look at the kde forums.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I don't care. I have lots of unstable PPA's and my whole system is rock solid. Seriously.
            And I hate Thunderbird. It just doesn't work like I want. Kontact is really THE app for me when it comes to e-mail.

Thanks for trying it too and checking out what the problem can be

Comment

I'm on 10.10 now, have added the Experimental PPA again and still no beta 3 Still stuck at beta 1..
              Did you find anything out Fintan?

Comment

I was actually busy with other stuff over the week end HD crashes, etc. But I will have a look now with MM RC.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

That's understandable
                  Glad you gonna try it out now
                  -Kubuntu Experimental PPA to get Kontact 4.5
                  The PPA says beta 3, but when you install it from the ppa, you still have beta 1. That's the problem.

Comment

Yep, just got from a meeting.
                    Still Beta 1
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Kontact and all KDEPIM are updated to beta3, but someone probably forgot to update names in beta2 and beta3 source tarballs. In file kdepim-version.h.cmake is still #define KDEPIM_VERSION "4.5 beta1". Try About dialog in KAlarm which has version 2.5.3 released (29th august) only with kdepim beta3.

citation from KAlarm's changelog (for unbelievers ):
                      KAlarm ChangeLog

=== Version 2.5.3 --- 29 August 2010 ===
                      - Fix crash when a reminder alarm is being redisplayed.
                      - Fix possible crash: on alarm deletion, always update next alarm to trigger.
                      - Fix Sound File selection dialogue Play button not playing any sound.
                      - Always set one storage location radio button in configuration dialogue.
                      - Fix inability to leave file name blank in audio alarm templates.

=== Version 2.5.2 --- 3 June 2010 ===
                      - Don't reactivate start-at-login without prompting, after user switches it off,
                      except if KAlarm is session restored.
                      - Show error message and set read-only if location is blank for new resource.
                      So that KDEPIM 4.5 beta3 from PPA is real KDEPIM 4.5 beta3, but names (numbering) in about dialogs are wrong.
                      Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

Ah, thank you very much Poborskiii

Problem solved

Comment

Working...
                        X