X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy/Paste in Konsole

Hi all,

I have Kubuntu 10.04 up and running. I am coming from a Windows background and have experience with Putty. With Putty, you can copy text by simply highlighting it and paste it by right-clicking the mouse.

Is there any way to enable such functionality in Konsole?

Re: Copy/Paste in Konsole

Yup. Just click+drag to highlight the text and then click the middle button (you have a three-button mouse?) to paste the selection at the cursor position.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You can right-click the Klipper icon in the system tray, select "Configure Klipper" and then check "Synchronise contents...". With that, every text you select with the mouse (including Konsole text) is instantly copied to the clipboard, very convenient
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

to copy - first you need to highlight what you want and use
        crtl + shift + c

then to paste use

ctrl + shift + v
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
          You can right-click the Klipper icon in the system tray, select "Configure Klipper" and then check "Synchronise contents...". With that, every text you select with the mouse (including Konsole text) is instantly copied to the clipboard, very convenient
          Sometimes, yeah. if you copy something that you want to paste later, but accedentaly select some text parts between the copying and pasting, then it isn't that convenient.
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Thanks, this does the trick for copying. However, is there a way to Paste on right click in Konsole? I can bring up the popup and do it in 2 steps, but just wondering if it can happen automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Annorax
              Thanks, this does the trick for copying. However, is there a way to Paste on right click in Konsole? I can bring up the popup and do it in 2 steps, but just wondering if it can happen automatically.
              Originally posted by Snowhog
              Yup. Just click+drag to highlight the text and then click the middle button (you have a three-button mouse?) to paste the selection at the cursor position.
              the method @Snowhog has described works in any text entering filed in any app. including a console .
              IE: highlight the text to copy then place the curser ware you want the text and click the midel mouse button/scroll wheel ...or if a old 2 button mouse both buttons at once.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

shift-insert to paste also

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                  shift-insert to paste also
                  True, but that's an uncomfortable shortcut, since Shift is on the left side and Insert on the right side. Lef Shift is uncomfortable too.
                  Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

I have shift on both sides of my keyboard and I think shift inset is less "uncomfortable" than crtl+shift+v...

...it's a matter of personal preference, don't you think?

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr, why do u have to make fun of my shortcut .

idk ctrl + shift are right next to each other (twice since there are two on my kbd) and 'V' well its right there.

on my kbd shift + insert is a very unconferable shortcut, since insert on my kdb is above the numpad, towards the far right.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Sorry - I wasn't attacking anyone else's choices - just trying to point out there's always more than one (or in this case 5) ways to "skin the cat".

Also everyone's keyboards aren't exactly the same. For me - the angle and proximity of the crtl+shift along with the v makes it less sure of a target for my left hand than shift-insert is for my right.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                          I have shift on both sides of my keyboard and I think shift inset is less "uncomfortable" than crtl+shift+v...

...it's a matter of personal preference, don't you think?
                          Whoops, the last sentence I meant that Right Shift is also uncomfortable.

But I agree with sithlord.
                          But do whatever you like, oshunluvr, personal taste

Comment

And of course, the keyboard shortcuts are configurable (so you can use something like meta+c, meta+v, if you prefer).

For the original question, middle-click pastes the primary selection (as snowhog and others already pointed out). This will work in konsole and everywhere else whether or not you combine primary selection and clipboard in klipper settings.

And like Vistaus said adding selections to clipboard automatically is not that handy if you need to replace text a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X