This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have to use sudo to run installed apps

A couple of applications I have installed will not run unless I use sudo. They give odd error messages, such as "No language locale found", which do not occur if I use sudo. For example, I installed X-Plane and it simply crashes when I run it unless I start it in a terminal using sudo. I copied the X_Plane folder from Windows and then repaired it by updating it from the X-Plane website. I have made sure that ownership, group ownership and permissions of the main X-Plane folder and all subfolders and files are correct but it still requires sudo before it will run. If I use sudo, then it runs abolutely fine.

Can someone point me in the right direction without me posting lots of error messages etc - just where do I begin?

Cheers,
    Mike

Re: have to use sudo to run installed apps

Is X-Plane a GUI application? I'll assume it is. Running sudo gui_application_name from the console is a very bad idea - it can/does alter the ability of you, the non-root user, to be able to run your system. If it hasn't happened yet, it still can.

Are you able to log in to your system (KDM Login) correctly?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X