This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Programs without using any Package Managers

Hello Everyone from the Kubuntu world. I have a question that has been vexing me. I want to know how to install a program without using any package managers. I want a challenge and it would seem to insult my intelligence. Now everyone, you know when you download a source code right? You follow instructions to
    [./configure] then after it is done configuring, you use the [make] or the make install command. Well here is my problem. When you run [./configure] I get a message stating that gawk was found but there is no C compilers to be found any where in my system. Now I am trying to install g++ but when I attempt to do so via [./configure], No compiler is found . So my question is that is there some other kind of tool that I should use that initially came with Kubuntu in order to install the g++ compiler? Because I can clearly see that nothing is going to get configured nor installed without a C compiler. I am trying to learn C++ and how to program OS'es. I would appriciate if anyone can help me as soon as possible. Thank you.

Re: Installing Programs without using any Package Managers

"CompilingEasyHowTo" - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
    "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!" - http://amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html
    "Last resorts: .rpm and .tar.gz" - http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/install...re#lastresorts

Have you installed: build-essential ?
    Have you "navigated" to the directory you have extracted?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Welcome on the forums

You'll have to install build-essential and cmake from the repo's. sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake

And then you can compile programs with a configure script with ./configure, Qt-programs often use cmake instead of configure, so you'll have to do the first step different.

./configure (Qt-program: mkdir build && cd build && cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
      make -j3
      sudo make install
      kbuildsycoca4
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Hmm I haven't tried any of the above. I didn't even know those other methods exists. Thank you very much and I'll try this and get back with you all that has advised me these methods.

Comment

Another quick note: not all binary packages will need to me configured. The author will almost always include a README file and a few other comments in the tarball for you to read.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            Another quick note: not all binary packages will need to me configured. The author will almost always include a README file and a few other comments in the tarball for you to read.
            Indeed, then it's mostly just make -j3 and sudo make install
            Or in some rare cases, it's:

qmake
            make -j3
            sudo make install
            Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Working...
            X