X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 64-bit Flash raised from the dead

wizard +1

HTML5 is waaaay better, on YouTube and on all other sites
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

As you find other sites that support HTML5 video, please post them. I have it working on YouTube and it is great. Opens instantly in Chromium and plays great in FF, but takes a little longer to load.

Comment

BTW, here's a neat little program that lets you save videos to your computer.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clipgrab-team/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install clipgrab

Comment

I just made an interesting discovery. I'm running 10.10 and Chromium as my main browser and I also use Firefox occasionally. In the past, media files on the internet were stored in the /tmp directory which means they were automatically cleared on each reboot. This is no longer the case. These files are now stored in you Cache. In Firefox this would be ~/.mozilla/firefox/your.default/Cache and in Chromium it is ~/.cache/chromium/Media Cache.

If you play a lot of media on you browser, this could become a disk usage issue. That's the downside. The upside is it is easy to select a file and move it to your /Videos (or any other) directory if you wish to save it.

So it might be advisable to clear your browser cache more often.

Comment

@Detonate, great catch!

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              I just made an interesting discovery. I'm running 10.10 and Chromium as my main browser and I also use Firefox occasionally. In the past, media files on the internet were stored in the /tmp directory which means they were automatically cleared on each reboot. This is no longer the case. These files are now stored in you Cache. In Firefox this would be ~/.mozilla/firefox/your.default/Cache and in Chromium it is ~/.cache/chromium/Media Cache.

If you play a lot of media on you browser, this could become a disk usage issue. That's the downside. The upside is it is easy to select a file and move it to your /Videos (or any other) directory if you wish to save it.

So it might be advisable to clear your browser cache more often.
              The upside for me is no more browser cache on my SSD

Maverick doesn't particularly care for having /tmp on tmpfs. Tried it and although it worked, Maverick didn't seem to be particularly happy about it.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

What I did was to download the tarball, "flashplayer_square_p1_64bit_linux_091510.tar. gz".
                Then moved "libflashplayer.so" to "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins".
                Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  BTW, here's a neat little program that lets you save videos to your computer.
                  You can also download the Firefox extension "Ant Video Downloader" which lets you save any streaming videos conveniently:
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8174/
                  Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Working...
                  X