This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit Flash raised from the dead

After releasing the last version of 64-bit Flash in February, Adobe killed 64-bit Flash, replacing the 64-bit Flash download page with some empty hogwash, which was their way of saying "F*ck off, you're not getting any!" >
    This of course had 64-bit users get very angry at Adobe.

In the meantime, the Flash alternative Gnash has made great progress, so you can even watch YouTube now with it, with other sites being worked on. Also Html5 is more and more taking form, with YouTube offering a Flash-free beta for some of their videos.

It seems that Adobe now got cold feet and feared that with an ever increasing number of people using 64-bit, who are then presented with the choice to use an old version with security holes, use the abysmally bad nspluginwrapper or use Flash alternatives like Gnash or Html5 would choose the alternatives, and Flash would eventually drown in meaninglessness.

To prevent this, they have now raised 64-bit Flash from the dead, about seven months after they killed it. Mind you, it's still only a "preview" version, but at least it's something you can use while waiting for the alternatives to become good enough to kick Flash into the curb

You can install the 64-bit Flash plugin by simply adding the following repository:
    https://launchpad.net/~sevenmachines/+archive/flash

Packages are avaiable for Karmic, Lucid and Maverick.

Alternatively, you can download it manually right here:
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._091510.tar.gz

A mod should sticky this post so people know about the new 64-bit Flash on Linux.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Re: 64-bit Flash raised from the dead

Or you can use the Sevenmachines PPA: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/adobe...102-64bit.html
    Works like a charm here
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Thanks! Added this ppa and flash works very fine!!

Comment

OK. I installed it. Now lets see if we have any issues. Everyone please post back if you do. I can always revert to the old 64 bit version if I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus
          Or you can use the Sevenmachines PPA: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/adobe...102-64bit.html
          Works like a charm here
          Why don't you point to the Launchpad site right away?
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
            Works like a charm here
            'Cause then we get questions how to add the PPA, which is covered in the article I posted
            Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Works like a charm here
              I also downloaded the tarball just in case the ppa goes away
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

The PPA doesn't go away. It updated the 10.1 alpha for 64-bit before, so chances are really big he does the same for the 10.2 alpha.

Comment

Works like a charm here
                  'Cause then we get questions how to add the PPA, which is covered in the article I posted
                  No we don't, because adding the ppa is explained on the Launchpad page. You need to be able to read, though :P

Adding this PPA to your system

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:sevenmachines/flash to your system's Software Sources. (Read about installing)
                  So either you launch "Software Sources" directly from the K menu, or you go to "Settings > Repositories" in Synaptic and there click the "Add" button on the "Other" tab. You can also click on the "Read about installing" link on the Launchpad page and have it explained in detail how you do it from the command line.

Comment

So either you launch "Software Sources" directly from the K menu, or you go to "Settings > Repositories" in Synaptic and there click the "Add" button on the "Other" tab. You can also click on the "Read about installing" link on the Launchpad page and have it explained in detail how you do it from the command line.
                    Or you do it the way I do

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flash
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Indeed, wizard, that's the way I do it too

Comment

Indeed, wizard, that's the way I do it too
                        I've got a pretty good script I keep in my home directory so it'll survive reinstalls - I copied this one off the netbook so 64-bit Flash is commented out and freenx doesn't have a Maverick repo yet.

#!/bin/sh

#backports
                        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

#x-swat
                        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

# freenx
                        #sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freenx-team/ppa

# muon
                        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:echidnaman/staging

# 64-bit flash
                        #sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sevenmachines/flash

#medibuntu
                        #sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list

#sudo apt-get --quiet update

#sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring

sudo apt-get --quiet update
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Wow, thanks for the script, gonna use that too (with more PPA's of course, 'cause I have a bunch of them :P)

Comment

It seems that Adobe now got cold feet and feared that with an ever increasing number of people using 64-bit, who are then presented with the choice to use an old version with security holes, use the abysmally bad nspluginwrapper or use Flash alternatives like Gnash or Html5 would choose the alternatives, and Flash would eventually drown in meaninglessness.
                            ROFL! We can only WISH that Flash would simply drown. Nice dream, though.

I just last night tried a beta HTML5 video player and it worked sweet. So, for the record, Yuri, I'm on the side of ENDING my Adobe addiction. I'm choosing HTML5 whenever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmmna
                              ROFL! We can only WISH that Flash would simply drown. Nice dream, though.

I just last night tried a beta HTML5 video player and it worked sweet. So, for the record, Yuri, I'm on the side of ENDING my Adobe addiction. I'm choosing HTML5 whenever possible.
                              Been playing around with YouTube's HTML5 beta. Very nice.
                              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X