X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound on KDE-Notifications

hi,

I have googled and looked in forums and can't solve my problem yet.
    I am using my on-board sound with 5.1 speakers. The sound works perfect, I can hear sound from youtube, Kaffeine, Amarok, Skype, and VLC simultaneously. But not the KDE-Notifications (i.e. Kopete or Pidgin).
    If there isn't any application running which produces sound (like the above mentioned), then the KDE-Notifications sound works.

Also in System Settings -> Multimedia -> Output Device I have selected my onboard sound (in this case HDA Intel VT1828S Analog) as primary output device and when I press "Test" it produces sound ONLY if no application which produces sound is running (VLC, Kaffeine, etc..)

It seems that whenever an application is running, the KDE-Sound can't access the channel.

I tried also installing Jack-Sound without success. When the Jack-Server starts, I do have sound in the KDE-Notifications but not in the other applications (VLC. Kaffeine, etc...). As soon as I stop the server, than it works the other way around.

My Hardware and ALSA configuration can be seen here:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=cd...cd4788b31a016c

I hope I have explained my problem.
    I would appreciate any help.

Re: No Sound on KDE-Notifications

What version of KDE are you running? I am at KDE 4.5.1 and to get to the output devices of my sound system I have to navigate as: KMenu -->Systemsettings -->Hardware-->Multimedia-->Phonon

While I can play a lot of audio-visual media at the same time, I cannot start kopete while I have the Phonon dialog up. If I close system settings I can start Kopete. What blocks it is Google's talk-call plugin.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am using KDE 4.4.5.

In KMenu -->Systemsettings -->Hardware-->Multimedia I see only "Phonon Xine Backend" in the Backend-Tab, but "Phonon" is not listed in the Device Preferences-Tab for the Audio Output.

maybe I should try installing KDE 4.5.1 and see what happens.... I also have the google talk plugin

Comment

Ok, I installed KDE 4.5.1 and I see the Phonon option. The output devices are still the same. I don't have any problems starting Kopete but I can't still get any sound of the KDE-Notifications if any audio-visual media application is running.

Comment

So, basically, Kopete is a sound hog.

Just on a hunch, try renaming ~/.pulse to ~/.pulse-sav and see if that solves your problem. If it doesn't you can reverse the naming or just let that file be recreated the next time you boot up.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Or check the Kopete options if Notifications are enabled.
            Pidgin uses PulseAudio, not Phonon, so that's an other problem than Kopete.
            Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

@GreyGeek: that didn't solve my Poblem :-(

@ Vistaus: The notifications are enabled, I have the phonon-backend-gstreamer and the sound on Pidgin works now.

Well, it seems that I will not have KDE-Notifications sound, but I think I can live with that, at least know works Pidgin-sound :-)

Comment

Working...
              X