Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail and Kdenlive and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail and Kdenlive and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Long time Ubuntu user having a look at Kubuntu. I have tried Kubuntu several times since 2005 when I started using Ubuntu as my primary OS. I had a hard time figuring out how to DO things.

I tried it again in a VM on Ubuntu and liked it so I installed Kubuntu 10.04 on an external eSATA hard drive. Something's different.
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but I like it and I was able to figure out how to do things in relatively short order. Gnome to KDE is a transition. I know they're just different desktops on top of a linux kernel, but the overall feel is a bit different.

Anyways...
    I set up KMail to get my email. I have my own domain and use IMAP for mail type. I can't seem to figure out how to get KMail to use the spam filters. I did the spam setup wizard and chose bogofilter (since it was the only one). I don't want it to download spam to my machine so I can delete it. Can't it check the x-spam flag and just move it to the junk folder on my remote mail server? (or the trash on the remote?). I have spamassasin running on my mail server so I was hoping to NOT be downloading stuff I'm going to review and toss anyways. I probably just missed a setting somewhere.

KDEnlive: Looks nice. LOTS of options. I'm in the US. What would be the most logical output format if my goal was to create DVDs from clips and have them playable on any standard DVD player?

Here is the current state of my installation:
    Install from LiveCD
    Install all Updates
    Install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    Install KDF (disk usage information utility from repos)
    Go into KMixer and raise PCM to 100% so I have sound in Flash videos
    Install KDEnlive
    First time start of Kdenlive, Amarok and K3B notified me of additional files to download for added functionality, so I accepted those suggestions and installed that stuff.

I want to use a static IP, but all research thus far is telling me I have to manually edit a file to accomplish that. Hard to believe something as important as network setup/configuration is not yet fully working via the GUI, but.... when I get around to it, I'll edit the file I guess.

I have my virtual desktops set to 4. I saw someplace, what appeared to be all 4 desktops on the screen at the same time with one of them highlighted. Is that a widget? The screen was simply divided into 4 quadrants. I'm assuming you could choose a desktop from there?

I also have to get into the screen saver a bit. Right now all it does is blank my screen.

I had several issues in Ubuntu for this LTS (can't copy an audio CD? WTF?) which is what prompted me to have another look at Kubuntu. I really like the feel of Kubuntu at this point, but have to work through to what I believe will be a fairly normal setup and applications to decide if I want to switch completely.

How am I doing?

Re: Kmail and Kdenlive and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Originally posted by reikimaster
    I want to use a static IP, but all research thus far is telling me I have to manually edit a file to accomplish that. Hard to believe something as important as network setup/configuration is not yet fully working via the GUI, but.... when I get around to it, I'll edit the file I guess.
    knetworkmanager is IMO the WORST piece of garbage at KDE has to offer. It should have the "K" forced off of it . If you're using wireless, get rid of knetworkmanager and use WICD. If you're not using wireless, get rid of it and do the manual edits.

I have my virtual desktops set to 4. I saw someplace, what appeared to be all 4 desktops on the screen at the same time with one of them highlighted. Is that a widget? The screen was simply divided into 4 quadrants. I'm assuming you could choose a desktop from there?
    Desktopgrid is CRTL-F8

I had several issues in Ubuntu for this LTS (can't copy an audio CD? WTF?) which is what prompted me to have another look at Kubuntu. I really like the feel of Kubuntu at this point, but have to work through to what I believe will be a fairly normal setup and applications to decide if I want to switch completely.
    Plus - you can always install any gnome app you want.

How am I doing?
    Great!

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: Kmail and Kdenlive and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      knetworkmanager is IMO the WORST piece of garbage at KDE has to offer. It should have the "K" forced off of it . If you're using wireless, get rid of knetworkmanager and use WICD. If you're not using wireless, get rid of it and do the manual edits.
      I can fully confirm that. Knetworkmanager is really an ugly piece of junk. It's not just its poor wireless support, it's also that its Dsl support is badly broken >
      It's crap like that which gives Kubuntu a bad reputation.
      I have to use network-manager-gnome (nm-applet) because of that, which works without any problems (although sometimes after boot, its status bar icon becomes invisible... $§%&! Gnome junk).
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Working...
      X