Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] PANIC!!! I accidentally removed a heapload of packages...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] PANIC!!! I accidentally removed a heapload of packages...

When I tried to remove Jack from my multi-media list, I somehow managed to erase more than 200 packages. Amongst with the bash editor, kpackagekit, dolphin and loads of other stuff.. WHAT CAN I DO TO UNDO THIS?!?!? I already downloaded the Live CD (thankfully a lot of programs, including FireFox and Nero Linux still work...), but I am in the dark as to what should happen now... The last thing I want is a new install, seeing that I have a dual boot system with XP, and I don't want to ruin the Grub entries...

Ideas, anyone?!?

Re: PANIC!!! I accidentally removed a heapload of packages...

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

(or, if MUON or Synaptic still exist on your desktop use them to REINSTALL it)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

can I do that from the command line? Because Bash is gone...

Edit: tried to do that with the Alt-F2 command line, but nothing at all happened
      Edit2: tried to invoke a terminal from the command line, but it stated that konsole executable was not found (in Dutch)

Comment

When you reboot, hold down the shift key. That will bring up the Grub Boot Menu, if it doesn't already show for you. Take the second option, the recovery option. When the recovery menu appears arrow down to the last option, root with network, and then tab to "OK" and press the enter key.

When the root console appears you can use the sudo commands given above.

When it is done, the enter "reboot", to reboot.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

SUCCESS!!!!!

I used Alt-Ctrl-F1 to start up a sort of "basic" terminal. sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop INDEED did the trick!! Then I just hit Alt-F7 to exit the terminal and return to the KDE session.

I am eternally grateful!!

Comment

Ooops, looks like we cross-posted....

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] PANIC!!! I accidentally removed a heapload of packages...

What happened to you has happened to just about everyone who has had some experience using a repository to remove applications.

What happens is that some applications make critical desktop components appear as "dependencies", thus holding the desktop hostage. When you delete them they take the hostages with them.

A variation is the desktop roll-over: I used to use an RPM based distro. I saw a neat package and decided to install it. I didn't pay attention to the confirmation msg and clicked "OK". You know how assumptions are. I watched in horror, afraid to act, while it began removing about 180 or so KDE 3.x desktop files and then promptly installed about an equal number of KDE 3.x+1 desktop files, plus the file I wanted to install. When it was all done it told me to restart the X server. When I did that I found a brand new, updated KDE desktop and the file I wanted. I was totally amazed and impressed. (It was a Knoppix distro, IIRC) A couple weeks later I installed another app and with full confidence let it proceed unchecked. After another series of 180+ file removals, followed by the installation of about an equal number of files, I was told to restart the X server. When I did that I was presented with a total catastrophe. I had to reinstall because I didn't know enough about Linux at the time to recover.

Moral: After you click the "Apply" button BE SURE you take notice of the confirmation dialog and that it is doing what you told it to do.

There may be a command to selectively remove a file and leave its "dependencies", but I don't recall what it is. If such a command exists there are folks on this board that know it and will jump in. Then we'll both learn something!

Comment

In my case it was "Jack" who was the culprit. The program went off with around 200 packages, leaving a mess..

Comment

We aught to add "Jack" to a list of "serial killers", i.e., packages which have unnecessary dependency attachments.

Comment

I must say I agree with that, although it is a bit of a bold statement....

Comment

Me, make bold statements?

Surly you jest!

Comment

Working...
                      X