Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if I clone a UUID to another device?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if I clone a UUID to another device?

I understand you can somehow generate/change and/or apply a uuid to a device. I have this idea I am working on and would like to know what exactly would happen if I changed a devices uuid to match another devices uuid? I am afraid to try it but am all ears

Re: What happens if I clone a UUID to another device?

Cloning does just that. It really isn't a problem, if both partitions aren't available within the same booted OS. However, even that can be an issue, if within the booted OS, you attempt to access the non-mounted partition that has the same UUID of one that is already mounted.

You don't want to do this. :P
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had this insane idea that I've made come to fruition yesterday. I always make backups and decided in the last past couple days that better than just backing up my stuff, I rsync from live internal partitions to external backup partitions. In a sense I have these clones using rsync.

I decided to one-up the backup idea and turn it into a livable emergency backup that doesn't just backup my data *but* if god forbid my 300GB+ of data was trashed/destroyed, I can actually boot up into the external disk within seconds and be right back to work. No fuss.

It works. Of course though in order to do it, I had to modify fstab and grub.cfg on the backup before remounting read-only. Anyhow, if worse came to worse and the real disk blew up for some reason, I guess then would be the perfect time to change the uuid using tune2fs.

I was curious because I feel other than fstab and grub.cfg those uuid's are elsewhere in the system? Am I right? Or is fstab and grub.cfg the only places to worry about?

Comment

Originally posted by vbgunz
        I was curious because I feel other than fstab and grub.cfg those uuid's are elsewhere in the system? Am I right? Or is fstab and grub.cfg the only places to worry about?
        As I said, IF you attempt to access such a cloned partition - Dolphin - it won't let you, telling you that the device is already mounted. I know, because I ran into this exact situation on a 'copied' backup of my existing OS to two new partitions. The UUIDs in the copied partitions of course, went with the copies to the new partitions. When I attempted to access those partitions from Dolphin, I was denied, being told that /etc/mtab said they were already mounted.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just didn't want some nuclear power plant closest to where I lived to try and divide by zero if I did this. Thanks! I'll just hopefully never have to change them unless a catastrophic failure happens. Good looking

Comment

Just curious snowhog - could you mount the cloned partitions with duplicate UUID's using device names instead and could dolphin access them then?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X