X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok: creating / saving playlists

Hello,

I love KDE and all its applications which are usually very usable. There is however one KDE application that I hate with a passion: Amarok. I never figured out how to use it.

I'm trying to create / edit / save playlists (a basic functionality for a music player)... I have tried many, many times, browsed all the menu items I could find, looked for the missing documentation... but I have never ever figured out how to create, edit or save playlists.

I hope someone here can enlighten me.

Or else, what good alternatives are there to Amarok?

Thanks

(other than that, I really do love KDE4).

Re: Amarok: creating / saving playlists

Let's start with something that ought to be simple:

how to create a brand new playlist, name it, add songs to it and save it?

Comment

I agree they ruined Amarok when they went to version 2, however I don't have as many problems as a lot of people report.

What part of creating a playlist and saving it can't you do

The default Amarok window has the playlist on the right side and your music collection on the left, clicking on a song file or right clicking and select "add to playlist" does just that. You can also select all songs of an artist, an album, with one click.

When you've finished your playlist, click on the disk icon at the bottom and save it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you, oshunluvr (Ocean Lover?)!

I think that with your help, I have just figured out how to do it. When I reopened Amarok right now, I found many new playlists with yesterday's date, when I was trying.
        So, the 'save' button actually creates a *new* playlist!

The interface is very counter-intuitive and goes against the standards established throughout the KDE applications. It was unclear to me how the right and left panel are connected (e.g. how changes on the right would affect the playlists on the left.... the answer is apparently: the playlists are not affected at all by whatever happens on the right panel).

Anyway, thank you again for pointing out one important missing link in my brain.

Blessings!

Augustin.

P.S. If I may respectfully say: your wife is lovely and I am sure she's as lucky to have you as you are to have her. Blessings to you both.

Comment

I agree with your comments (all of them! thanks for the blessings).

LOTS of people complain about the "new" Amarok. I seriously don't know what the developers were thinking. I seems like they dropped common sense along with functionality and opted for a cutesy interface instead.

However - it has been getting better bit by bit. I still use it every day. I love the lyrics scripting and it will connect to most portable music devices without extra configuration.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X