X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin froze and unresponsive

Hi all:

I updated my kubuntu lucid lynx from to kde 4.4 to kde 4.5 and I'm quite happy with it, but Dolphin sometimes becomes unresponsive and froze and I have to close it.

Does anybody have any "trick" to solvent it, or as I have read its a bug that will be fixed for kde 4.5.1?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dolphin froze and unresponsive

I noticed that too.

At first I was using the Kill switch (Ctl+alt+esc) which changes the mouse icon to the skull and cross bones. Any app you click on with that Icon is immediately killed.

BUT, I found that if I was patient Dolphin would soon resume. If I was in a hurry I'd open a second instance of Dolphin.

What ever it is doing while it is in its comatose state I don't know, but eventually it wakes up. Or at least it has for me. I haven't found anything in the logs which suggest unusual or errant behavior, i.e., no error messages.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I noticed a momentary Dolphin freeze today, when I was working my disks and filesystems pretty hard with some multitasking (web browsing/flash playing while a web development tool was building a site). It lasted a few seconds, while I resisted the temptation to click anything else, and then it resumed and all was OK. I can imagine that, on slower hardware than I'm running, it could last awhile. I think it's related to multiple filesystem operations -- at least that's my theory.

Comment

That's similar to my theory: threading and thread locking. Trug, the author of K3b went around with QtSoftware about the thread blocking API paradigm in Qt4. He offered his forked patches of QProcess (which talks to KProcess) to enhance their threads. They refused.

Since Qt is now owned by Nokia, and I believe they are pragmatic and will welcome a solution which was not invented there, it may get incorporated into later releases of Qt4. Qt5?

QProcess requires an event loop and is used to communicate with external programs (which K3b uses in abundance!) While threads increase simultaneous processes there are some events in burning CDs (or playing with files) which require some processes to be complete before others should begin. In believe that "QProcess::IsSequential" in Qt4.6 should solve that problem.
        But I'm just speculating here.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yes, you are right, being a little patient Dolphin finally wakes up...but it is a little bit annoying when you are in a hurry to do anything. I hope they can solve it soon.

Thanks for your replies.

Comment

In my 10.10 VM install, Dolphin (KDE 4.5.0) appears to be 'flakey.' It's operation isn't as smooth like it is in KDE 4.4.5. It induces screen rewrites when changing Places.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrixx
              Yes, you are right, being a little patient Dolphin finally wakes up...but it is a little bit annoying when you are in a hurry to do anything. I hope they can solve it soon.

Thanks for your replies.

Does it ony sometimes freeze? MAybe it is related to -guess what-- nepomuk. I've upgraded one of my kubuntu installations to KDE 4.5.0 and Dolphin does not launch or even if it launchs it freezes unless I kill nepomukserver and disable nepomuk service completely. Nepomukserver is using 70 to 90% CPU right from the start on my machine and it just started with kde 4.5. I hope they will fix this issue on 4.5.1

Regards.

Comment

4.5.1 dropped in suse seems to be more stable but even in 4.5.0 it got better for me after switching to compiz-emerald or IceWM instead of kwin. I haven't had any freeze ups of dolphin yet but I haven't tried moving a lot of files or large ones yet.

Comment

At me and my dads computer, it doesn't come out once it freezes. We really have to kill it using CTRL+ALT+ESC. Both using KDE 4.5.0 and running only Nepomuk, not strigi.
                  Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

While nepomuk is loaded on my box, its service is not running, so it isn't constantly reading folders and updating its database. It holds several KDE4 apps hostage so one can't just use Synaptic to remove it. You have to use apt-get and the parameter which doesn't permit the removal "dependencies". (memory block right now ... can't think of the switch).

Besides. I use locate and its database, which is populated by updatedb, which is run by chron on the background every so often and is lightening fast.

Comment

I also use locate, but Nepomuk for the ratings in Dolphin. Sometimes. But I can try to turn Nepomuk off and see if it fixes the crashes.
                      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

You can turn it off in Systemsettings --> services.

Comment

Hi again ppl

I have nepomuk/strigi turn off and kde update to 4.5.1 but the problem with Dolphin is the same, sometimes it becomes unresponsive and I have to wait some time until it is functional again. It's a pity because I think that Dolphin is a great application, but this problem is quite annoying :-(

Comment

That's a shame. Here, KK 10.04 (32-bit), KDE 4.5.1, Dolphin (version 1.5) behaves properly. What are the specs on your system?
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrixx

Hi again ppl

I have nepomuk/strigi turn off ...
                              When Dolphin is misbehaving what does
                              sudo service --status-all
                              show, in regards to nepomuk, strigi and avahi-daemon?

Comment

Working...
                              X