This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly does LTS entail?

I'm using a rolling release.. Arch linux.. its nice... but its alot of work and alot of effort to get things working.. and lots of "tweaks,hacks,workarounds" to get stuff working that just works on K(ubuntu) since 'buntu is more "supported' by most software makers.. so my question is.. after installing 10.04 it's supported till april 2013.. does this mean software updates .. 1.2.x to 1.2.y
    'or 1.x to 2.x, or just security updates and just bug fixes for software that others update to the latest (when its ready of course)? i know kubuntu even with ppa repos isnt bleeding edge, but thats not required as long as the software does what its supposed to.. (example.. amarok 2.x.x wont just "stop working" if you dont update it.. anyone get what i'm asking?

what does LTS entail.. and bleeding edge and absolute "latest" aside.. how updated will 10.04 be as compared to 10.10 (which is NOT LTS)?

hope i explained my question clearly..
    thanks in advance

Re: What exactly does LTS entail?

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3113351.0
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

In the strictest sense, an LTS release will guarantee security support until April 2013. Post-release bugfixes are made on a best-effort basis by the development community in the form of Stable Release Updates, a somewhat rigorous and specific update progress meant to fix the particular bug (usually somewhat serious or at least widespread) while at the same time minimizing the risk of regressions by only applying the fix for that one bug.

Staying with 10.04 LTS means that things should not get worse as a result of the updates, and that you are guaranteed to get security fixes for three years, upon which a direct LTS -> LTS upgrade path will be made available so that you can jump to the next LTS without upgrading through every release.

Comment

and LTS usually get updated ISO images from time to time with all the fixes rolled in - 10.04.1 images were recently released.

Comment

Working...
        X