This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Installing VMware gets error message: newline unexpected

I don't know whether it's even proper etiquette to post something as "Solved" at the beginning, but I've notice that others are getting the same message, so I thought I'd try to put up the answer with a title that someone might find in a search. Apologies to all if I've overstepped.
    I was trying to install 64-bit VMware. I downloaded the appropriate .bundle file, but when I ran the command to install it, I got this message:

VMware-Player-3.1.1-282343.x86_64.bundle: 110: Syntax error: newline unexpected
    It was driving me nuts (not a drive, really; more of a short putt), because I had the command line syntax correct. What I found is that the VMware site has two download links for each version of the program. The "Start Download Manager" link delivers a stunted file--it's only about 1/3 the size of the full file that one gets by clicking on the "Manually Download" link just below the first link. The full-size file installs with no problem. This problem has apparently been around for some time; I don't know why VMware hasn't addressed it.
    Hope this helps someone.

Re: SOLVED: Installing VMware gets error message: newline unexpected

No need to apologize! Posting a problem WITH its solution is welcomed and a benefit to all! 8)

You are within putting distance of insanity, eh? We must be on the same green because I can see that cup from where I'm standing!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: SOLVED: Installing VMware gets error message: newline unexpected

Thanks, Don.

Comment

Working...
      X