This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subversion is asking for both GNOME keyring password and Kwallet password

Hi all, in one of the updates (maybe in one of the previous Kubuntu releases), subversion started asking for default GNOME keyring password. It was ok for me, although I do not have a GNOME-based Ubuntu. Something went worse in one of the last updates: now subversion asks for both the default GNOME keyring and then for the KWallet password.

How can I use ONLY Kwallet (or do not use them at all). The Subversion configuration /etc/subversion/config does not have any uncommented hint at using GNOME or KWallet, the same holds for ~/.subversion/config. Where are configuration values for subversion?

Re: Subversion is asking for both GNOME keyring password and Kwallet password

BUMP

Comment

It's not a bug. They've improved security. The password they want is your login password, not your gpg keyring password.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/473139

What are you using subversion for? Are you a developer?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        It's not a bug. They've improved security. The password they want is your login password, not your gpg keyring password.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/473139

What are you using subversion for? Are you a developer?
        Hi GreyGeek, thanks for the pointer. I think there's a bug somewhere, anyway :-)... and I'm not the only one. The thing is that subversion should store passwords somewhere, or store them in plain-text files, unencrypted. Without saying anything to subversion, it seems to try to use both gnome-keyring and kwallet (and does not remember the choice, since it asks for them over and over again).

My fix (reading the launchpad thread) has been to say explicitly to use kwallet in ~/.subversion/config. So now it never asks for passwords, since it grabs them from kwallet, and I already unlocked it at the login.

Another (working) option is to say to store password unencrypted. It generates a warning every time (unless you configure this explicitly), but works.

Comment

Why do you need Subversion? It is a document version control software, which is why I asked if you were a developer. If you aren't developing software or are not using it to control versions of ascii documents that you right just remove svn.

IF you need a version control application allow me to recommend Bazaar. It is MUCH easier to install,use and remove. You can read about it here. It is in the repository, too, along with several utilities and gui's, if you don't want to use the console.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Why do you need Subversion? It is a document version control software, which is why I asked if you were a developer. If you aren't developing software or are not using it to control versions of ascii documents that you right just remove svn.

IF you need a version control application allow me to recommend Bazaar. It is MUCH easier to install,use and remove. You can read about it here. It is in the repository, too, along with several utilities and gui's, if you don't want to use the console.
            Uh, I'm using both Subversion and Git to test various programs, like bangarang, bluedevil, kamoso, yakuake, kmess, shotwell etc.
            You don't need to be developer to use things like svn or git.
            Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Ah, then you are a tester!

You're doing everything but actually writing the program! Testors are sorely needed... Good job! 8)

Comment

However, for knowledge's sake, I (MadMage) am a developer, and Subversion was asking for password when I did commits. I connect to Subversion servers that are located in my University, on SourceForge, on my home PC, etc.

I do not know about Bazaar, but I do not feel any need to use a distributed, hard-disk consuming, solution. At least, so far :-)

Comment

Originally posted by madmage
                  I do not know about Bazaar, but I do not feel any need to use a distributed, hard-disk consuming, solution. At least, so far :-)
                  Bazaar doesn't have to be used that way, but it makes it nice because stand-alone development is easily done with it. Much easier than with SVN.

Comment

Working...
                  X