This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding other partitions and remote images to /etc/fstab

Is there a utility buried somewhere that provides a nice interface for adding entries to /etc/fstab for other partitions on the same machine and also for images on other networked machines? I can't find anything for that in Systems Settings, which is where I'd expect to find it. It is, of course, possible to do some of that during the initial installation -- but how about afterwards?

Re: Adding other partitions and remote images to /etc/fstab

well for other partitions on the box you could use system settings>removable devices
    or they should show in dolphins places panel ware their just a click and password away.

the network drives depend on how their being shared I believe.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Other partitions ain't removable

Yes, there does seem to be something for handling the other partitions under "removable media" -- a misleading label since they aren't removable. And I can't find anything there for naming the mount points.

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams
        Yes, there does seem to be something for handling the other partitions under "removable media" -- a misleading label since they aren't removable. And I can't find anything there for naming the mount points.
        the mount points will be handled automatically by hall/dbus .

and added to /media

as if you clicked it in dolphin's places panel it get's added to /media/disk ....... for me

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Renaming the mount points

Is there a way to rename the mount points to more meaningful names, other than by editing /etc/fstab?

Maybe this will clear up after a reboot, but it required root permission to access one of those partitions.

Comment

You can, after the partition has been mounted, change the ownership to user:root where user is your user name. This then avoids the prompt for your password when the partition is accessed [read:mounted].

As an example, if my external USB HD, which is not listed in /etc/fstab, is accessed via Dolphin, and gets mounted to /media/disk-1, then I open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo chown paul:root /media/disk-1
            Now, anytime that I access this HD, it gets mounted with me as the owner, and root as the group. I have full access to it, and am not prompted for my password.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Renaming the mount points

Originally posted by pwabrahams
              Is there a way to rename the mount points to more meaningful names, other than by editing /etc/fstab?
              There is, it's called pysdm
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install pysdm
              Attached Files
              ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

You can try out Partitionmanager - just install the package of the same name. It allows you to manage your partitions, change the mount points etc.
                Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Networked filesystems

How about networked filesystems? pysdm doesn't seem to have any facilities for them. That seems to be one of those things that Windows handles better than Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X