Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.4.5 working perfectly and it being LTS, any "real" imperative to install 4.5?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.4.5 working perfectly and it being LTS, any "real" imperative to install 4.5?

I was using ARCH linux, while its bleeding edge, rolling release.. wine works like "crap", i've tried both 32bit wine in a 64bit environment, and the new 64bit wine in 64bit enviornment.. neither work "well" at all..and with Kubuntu.. crossover office works beautifully and i can install the 7 windows apps i use alot.. and i have 6 gigs of ram, and swappiness at zero so either system can FLY, along with BUM and tweaking startup.... my question finally is.. is there any real "imperative" reason to install 4.5, when 4.4.5 "works"? i mean is there anything that anyone knows of that will make 4.4.5 a less attractive option to use before the LTS of 3 years is up?
    hope my question makes sense, and isnt redundant (ive searched this forum, havent found opinions/experiences for what i'm asking..)

Re: 4.4.5 working perfectly and it being LTS, any "real" imperative to install 4.5?

It is up to you. Earlier > Topic: KDE 4.5.0 - upgrade now or wait?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: 4.4.5 working perfectly and it being LTS, any "real" imperative to install 4.5?

Originally posted by binskipy2u
      wine works like "crap", i've tried both 32bit wine in a 64bit environment, and the new 64bit wine in 64bit enviornment.. neither work "well" at all..

If you need a Windows application, but you can do most of your work with Linux, then you might consider VMware Player or VirtualBox, on Linux.

Comment

A very conservative opinion from someone who hasn't tried KDE 4.5.0 yet, (and hasn't used windoze, with or without WINE, on any machine in nearly a decade):

A) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your livelihood depends on having a reliable computer, don't mess with it.

B) "Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside." -- Alexander Pope (who first said a great many cliches.) In other words, wait until Maverick has been out for at least a week, or two, so that the devs (and people on this site) have had a chance to find and work around any problems that KDE 4.5 might have with WINE.

Comment

and my 2 cents worth......... keep 4.4.5 for a wile at lest .

although I'm not mad at my 4.5.0 ?upgrade? I would still rather have 4.4.5 for now.

that sead 4.5.0 is stabel and running nicely.......for what I need......I don't use WINE though so cant comment on that

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What the others said, I'm using 4.5 like it, but it does have quirks. I would probably revert to 4.4.5 if possible. However its not that big a problem to bother reinstalling.

Comment

From my own experience with 4.5, I would advise not to touch it yet. Probably best to wait a while until looking at it. 4.4.5 is much more stable, smooth and polished.

Regards .....
              Kubuntu User #9802
              Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

Working...
              X